Delete [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
nightshade00013 submitted a new resource:

Identify your drives by serial number. - Multiple ways to identify your disks for replacement.

There are a couple ways to identify which disk is failed or failing in a FreeNAS system. One is in the GUI and another is via command line. Since some people will want to work in a particular way I figured I would show how both can be done step by step.

GUI
The first way I will show is via the GUI which some users who are new to the system or do not understand a lot of the command line jargon will be more comfortable doing.

The steps:
  1. Enter the GUI...

Read more about this resource...

scrappy

Patron
Thanks for the link. That's a very good resource indeed.

One more way to keep track of your disks is to add a description of the physical location under: Storage > View Disks. In my example I list which disk is inserted in each occupied drive bay. Now you can easily identify which disks are in a physical location on your server.

freenas_disk_labeling.PNG

wblock

Documentation Engineer
FreeBSD's native diskinfo(8) shows disk serial numbers. It's simpler than smartctl:

diskinfo -v ada0 | grep ident

markmuehlbauer

Dabbler
Not all the time will in show serial numbers. Only if your controller supports this.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Not all the time will in show serial numbers. Only if your controller supports this.
Interesting. I'd guess that the type of controller that does not show it will also not support SMART data. Which controllers have you seen this on?

This resource has been removed and is no longer available for download.

This resource has been removed and is no longer available for download.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.