Dedicated DD-WRT router with VPN for Freenas - Possible?

redham

Dabbler
My main existing router is a Netgear X6s connected to HP Managed Switch and a sub with PIA. I am trying to find an easy solution to adding VPN to my Freenas system. PIA is fully tested and compatible with DD-WRT, so I figure this would be the easiest way to add VPN to my Freenas system without having to deal with the software and settings on the server itself.

So I just picked up a refurb Linksys WRT3200 just for PIA and have it dedicated to my Freenas.

1. I assume I would have to plug Linksys directly to my secondary cable modem port for PIA to work
2. How would I configure the both routers so that they could be on the network? Not sure is PIA will work with dhcp turned off on the Linksys.

Some of you might wonder why I don’t just put my entire network on the Linksys only. I have experienced, with another VPN service, poor speeds at times and issues with my browsers not recognizing my regional settings. So I figure having my computers (phones and other set top devices) not on the VPN /Netgear router should be fine.

The VPN service to my freenas is mainly for torrents. I will eventually find some time to setup qbittorrent properly but without having to deal with VPN settings in that process.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1563511784228.png
    1563511784228.png
    50.1 KB · Views: 226

RSVP

Explorer
I use pfsense that is also freebsd based. It conects to a fibre modem. and a managed switch. My pfsense gateway is through vpn. All things go thruogh my vpn unless i have a specific ip i don't want to go through. Then that gets added alias group bypass. I like vpn. and my speeds are plenty fast enough. I am not sure about all your devices but trying to keep things simple as possible usually is the trick. or if you only use vpn for torrents, try usenet newsreaders instead that offer more encryption without a vpn. I use usenet and get a vpn included with the service.

RSVP

Explorer
its gigbayte board. 8 gigs ram min.. dont need that much. i3 6100. hard drive not important either... processor determines how good open vpn runs i think mostly. Love pfsense. never regretted getting into that project like i have on others.
Run open vpn as a server and client
pfblockerng filters a lot of garbage
lots of other packages avail.

Last edited: