Debugging Random Reboots

Invex09

Cadet
I have a machine running FreeNAS v8.3.0 that started having trouble w/ random reboots as of a few months ago that were the first issues in 6+ years. I'm looking to upgrade it (https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/general-upgrade-advice-from-freenas-v8-3-0.83187/), but before I do that, I'd love to try and debug what the random reboots issue was caused by.

After some reading, my best guess was a faulty PSU or - unspecific I know - overheating. I would reboot it w/ the verbose logging option and had read a lot about checking /var/log/messages but couldn't seem to find anything useful there. When I looked at the contents of messages, it seemed to just contain info from the current boot. I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong (I opened the file with VI) or if there were other spots to look maybe that verbose logging was writing to, but basically I'm trying to see if theres any data logged anywhere that can help me debug what the issue was. Because all of the ZFS drives are reporting back healthy with no problems.

I previously had 2 large case fans running on low and the CPU fan and had no issues. But as my first "debugging attempt" at fixing the random reboot issue, I cranked my existing fans up to High and added another large case fan (on High) and have been fine now for a few days. It's just odd that it happened all of a sudden, when the fan setup before was fine for 6+ years.

Before I make any decisions, I'd love to suss out what the actual issue was so I can upgrade/purchase new hardware if need be before I do any upgrading. Any debugging/testing advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

CURRENT SPECS
==============
FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r12825)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz
Memory: 16GB DDR3 (4 x 4GB) @ 1600MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3
Storage: OS-Drive (2GB SanDisk Card w/ IDE Adapter Board), Data-Drives (3 x WD Red 3TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s; 3 x Samsung 2TB IntelliPower SATA 3Gb/s)
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-380D Green
Case: Antec Three Hundred (ATX Mid Tower)

Try testing the ram and also the OS-Drive (2GB SanDisk Card w/ IDE Adapter Board), sounds suspect.