Database Disk Image is malfunctioned. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipaddict

Dabbler
Hi,
i would be forever grateful if someone could take a look at my pic and assist me with this issue i am having. I am a total noob so please excuse my ignorance.
Just for some background info, the current sata drives had linux on them. I only have a Windows 7 laptop avail. As you probably already guessed, I do not have another Desktop avail to format. Is there a way to properly format these drives already installed in server w/freenas? (btw, Freenas is booted from Flash) I am betting that just wiping volumes prior to install would work. (that's exactly what i did.) (Rookie!) I appreciate your anticipated help.
thank you.

Ipaddict.
photo.JPG

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, you'd need to burn the ISO and do an "upgrade" even though it might be the same version. But that would also require you to have a machine to burn the ISO image...

Other than that. No.

ipaddict

Dabbler
I appreciate your response however, due to my ignorance I would need some specifics. I am somewhat familiar with prompt commands when trying to format a drive. Does this process has anything to do with burning ISO? Btw, I have an independent win7 laptop so burn ISO shouldn't be a prob. Also you when you say "upgrade" are you referring to an option in freenas to load Burn ISO?
Thank you much.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You burn the ISO, then you boot from it on your FreeNAS box. Then you choose the upgrade option. It'll basically reinstall FreeNAS and copy your config file. But if your USB stick is bad this isn't likely to do anything.

To be completely honest, with the questions you are asking you should find someone that does know what they are doing. This is enterprise-class stuff, and if you don't know what you are doing you're going to have a sad face when you realize you deleted your data without realizing it. This isn't windows where it always warns you of doing something that could backfire or cause a loss of data. It expects the admin to be knowledgable and experienced. We've had people that had 1 typo lose their data without recovery.

ipaddict

Dabbler
I appreciate your comments and concern. To be honest, I am not worried. I have been running nas for quite some time now. I can poke around at my own risk. I am a big now i can handle it. :) I haven't had help before and I don't intend to get help now. I just need some guidance and I'll be fine.
My USB stick w/ freenas boots up fine from the motherboard.

Thanks

Dusan

Guru
"database disk image is malformed" means the config DB is corrupted. You need to do a fresh install. Upgrade won't help as it will pull the config DB from the old install.

ipaddict

Dabbler
@Dusan. Thank you so basically, once the drives are formatted, go the fresh install route and avoid the upgrade option?

Dusan

Guru
You do not need to bother with "formatting". Just install FreeNAS and it provides everything you need. You should be able to create a new volume overwriting any previous Linux filesystem. The FreeNAS GUI also gives you a "wipe disk" functionality if needed.

ipaddict

Dabbler
@dusan, thank you for the valuable info. I have one favor to ask of you before I proceed.
Being that my freeNAS is on my USB stick which boots up from the motherboard, what is the process involved With reinstalling FreeNAS? Is there an option to do the reinstall while the USB boots up?
For example can I go through the reinstallation process by pressing F2 to get in bios ? Or does the reinstall involve removing the USB stick from the motherboard replacing old freeNAS with a new freeNAS and attempting to boot? Sorry for the many question, I just would like to get this right. Thank you for your kind responses.

ipaddict

Dabbler
@Dasun,
Dude, I can't thank you enough. It's good to know that there good people out there and some are still willing to help others despite their limitations. :)
Thank you.
image.jpg

ipaddict

Dabbler
@ Dusan
i want you to know that about a week ago you helped me setup my FreeNas and i want to thank you. Far too often, I have observed Noobs being viewed as a nuisance and often given up on. When in reality, some of the help we are getting are very minimal or incorrect. Please continue to share your expertise and help those that are helpless. Your actions speak volumes.. Thanks again.

So i get it all working (thanks to you) but i am am attempting to install the plex plugin now and i am having a small problem.
Currently, in storage i have 2 disk /mnt/Volume1/ Windows_share. Currently i have media to on my windows_share. I am attempting to install plex when I go to ZFS Volume Manager to create volume, NO disks are available. Volume layout shows capacity 0B
How can i create ZFS volume to add plex? Do i have to Delete Windows_share, install plex then recreate windows_share? What is the best way to handle this?
Thank you very much for you time.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
@ Dusan
i want you to know that about a week ago you helped me setup my FreeNas and i want to thank you. Far too often, I have observed Noobs being viewed as a nuisance and often given up on. When in reality, some of the help we are getting are very minimal or incorrect. Please continue to share your expertise and help those that are helpless. Your actions speak volumes.. Thanks again.

So i get it all working (thanks to you) but i am am attempting to install the plex plugin now and i am having a small problem.
Currently, in storage i have 2 disk /mnt/Volume1/ Windows_share. Currently i have media to on my windows_share. I am attempting to install plex when I go to ZFS Volume Manager to create volume, NO disks are available. Volume layout shows capacity 0B
How can i create ZFS volume to add plex? Do i have to Delete Windows_share, install plex then recreate windows_share? What is the best way to handle this?
Thank you very much for you time.
You don't go to volume manager. Highlight 'Volume1' and click on the button below that says 'create zvol'

Or on the left hand menu, just click 'create zvol' under your 'Volume1'

I think you can install plugins on a dataset too, so you dont have to dedicate a zvol to it.

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Volumes

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Plugins

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Jails

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Jails_Configuration

Sent from my Nexus 5

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Start a new thread please. We should not be changing topic after the intial thread was posed.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.