Data missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

udo dussling

Cadet
I lost a drive in a power outage my UPS got fried and now a dive is dead and I have a missing volume? I have five drive in the system now and years of data on them. How do it get it back? I'm afraid to create or rebuild the volume couse on the bottom in red it say files lost or something like that. Please if you have any idea on how I might get it back. you have all my thanks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I lost a drive in a power outage my UPS got fried and now a dive is dead and I have a missing volume? I have five drive in the system now and years of data on them. How do it get it back? I'm afraid to create or rebuild the volume couse on the bottom in red it say files lost or something like that. Please if you have any idea on how I might get it back. you have all my thanks.

Post the output of zpool status. Please use CODE tags or Pastebin.

Also, your hardware and FreeNAS version, please, as per the forum rules.

udo dussling

Cadet
Sorry for my ignorance I'm fairly new to this and I would like to ask where do I find this info?

FreeNAS-9.2.1.6-RELEASE-x64 (ddd1e39)
PlatformAMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor
Memory4056MB
System TimeFri Nov 07 11:42:23 CST 2014
Uptime11:42AM up 29 mins, 0 users
Load Average0.08, 0.02, 0.03

gpsguy

You need to go to the shell/console and execute the command: zpool status

Copy/paste the results into code tags (found on the insert icon in the message editor) here, or use pastebin.com and post the link to the information.

While the information you listed is a start, we'd also like to know more about your disks, mobo, etc. See the forum rules in red at the top of the page.

Note, you're only using 1/2 the required amount of RAM.

udo dussling

Cadet
I have to also tell you another person told me to detach the bad volume yesterday and I did now it only see the small volume I had. Data100G was the other volume.
Drives are 3 (500gigs) one drive died when surge hit, 1 (1tb) and 2 (2tb) on a gigabite M/B. The pool D500gb is one 500 gb drive.

Code:
[root@freenasServer ~]# zpool status                                           
  pool: D500gb                                                                 
state: ONLINE                                                                 
  scan: none requested                                                         
config:                                                                        

NAME                                          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        D500gb                                        ONLINE       0     0     0
          gptid/d4f7ee1c-6459-11e4-bfe4-902b346d33ce  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors                                                   
[root@freenasServer ~]#   

gpsguy

I'm a bit confused by your description about the drives and what you were told to do. It would have been better to ask the question here first, rather than take bad advice.

Are you saying that you have/had 6 drives in the server, ie. 3x500Gb, 1x1Tb, and 2x2Tb? And, pool D500gb is a single 500Gb drive.

Were all the other striped together (akin to RAID0) in a single pool (Data100G)? If so, that's a dangerous configuration. If you loose one drive, like you did, you loose all the data.

Most users use some form of RAIDz, for example, you could have put 3x500Gb drives in a RAIDz volume. If one failed, the data would still be accessible. One could offline the bad disk and replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.