Data is there, but invisible in shared folders

I have almost 3 TB of movies and music on Freenas 11.2 (upgraded from 11.1) that I have been sharing on a primarily Windows 7&8 network. I tried installing Plex so I could access the content on a Fire TV Stick. After installing the Plex plugin I still had Freenas showing up on my Win systems with the data in its folders, but navigating to Freenas via IP (\\192.168.1.3) showed the same folders, but empty. I tried mapping the populated folders in the Freenas entry to drive letters and received a message stating that they were mapped using different credentials (they were not mapped to the Windows system). Searching for the error message led me to a suggestion to use "net use * /delete" at a cmd prompt. I was then able to map the populated folders to drive letters, but the drive letters had no data. I restarted my main Windows system, and now the folders are empty whether I navigate by name (\\Freenas) or IP (\\192.168.1.3). The folders show that they are empty from one Win7 and two Win8.1 systems.

The Freenas web interface still shows my pools and still shows the correct amount of data in each, Windows just can't see it. What the heck happened, and how do I fix it?

Heracles

Wizard
Hi,

Because I never did such a migration, I can not tell for sure, but the two things to check are :
--Permission

Maybe Plex changed ownership of the file in a way that made them inaccessible from the SMB share

--Move

Another option is for Plex to have moved the file to a different subfolder when it sorted the content and imported it in its library.

Do you have snapshots of your dataset before deploying your Plex ? If you do, you can always revert to that snapshot. If you don't, then maybe you should learn more about FreeNAS and snapshot and put some in place.

Good luck troubleshooting your situation,

Heracles

Wizard