Currently running ZFS... Have a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RYknow

Explorer
Hey all. I'm currently running Mint 17. I have 6 3TB drives, and I'm running ZFS (raidz2).

I was wondering if I would be able to export my pool, install freenas, and import my current pool?

Thanks,
-RYknow

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, you "can". It's not the most recommended way, but it should work. Do be warned that you may have unknown consequences as a result of importing a pool from another OS.

Also keep in mind that if you do a zpool upgrade on FreeNAS you *will* lose the ability to import the pool on Linux again.

Unrelated question:

Any chance you run zfs as root on Mint 17?

-RYknow

Explorer
cyberjock said:
Yes, you "can". It's not the most recommended way, but it should work. Do be warned that you may have unknown consequences as a result of importing a pool from another OS.

Eek... Not really a risk I want to take with +\- 7TB of data I can't afford to loose.

cyberjock said:
Any chance you run zfs as root on Mint 17?

That's a negative.

-RYknow

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, if you don't have a backup I wouldn't recommend you move to FreeNAS in the way you are considering. Just bring your pool over to my house... j/k.

Been trying to find someone that does ZFS as root on mint 17 so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. I desperately want to experiment with it, but there is no 'good guide' for doing it and I'm not a pro at linux bootup processes.

Status
Not open for further replies.