Current hardware recommendations list?

the_jest

Explorer
Is there any current list/thread about hardware recommendations? The Hardware Recommendations Guide 2a hasn't been updated in almost 4 years, and the SCALE Hardware Guide in the official docs has a great deal of general advice, but very little about specific brands/models, and nothing about cases or motherboards at all.

My current system—mostly for home media stuff and file backup on Truenas CORE, with a handful of VMs and jails—is running fine, but it's over 6 years old, and I've been thinking about building a new box and moving over to SCALE. Wanted to get some guidance before I start asking specific questions here.

chuck32

Guru
I recently upgraded my server and used the hardware guide as a reference and then refined my setup with the great help of experienced users here.

I would say this largely depends on your budget., there's quite some money to spend even if following the old guide. My impression is that most people here would go for "older" but proven hardware rather than new generations. Maybe nothing changed that much, at least for me the guide was plenty.

I'd suggest you do some research and come up with a possible system, there will be some knowledgeable users around here that can help you refine it.

Oh and also many users post their systems in their signatures, that is a great source of inspiration, too.

I found all the different naming schemes of server hardware I was not familiar with before confusing in the beginning. Once you dive in it gets better though.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The Hardware Recommendations Guide 2a hasn't been updated in almost 4 years
It's not purely laziness, the market has not been conducive to widespread adoption of the new stuff... Well, things are sort of being pushed regardless due to older hardware being less available, but there still isn't a good answer to "I have an X11SSM-F, what can I buy new?" without paying 400+ bucks for a motherboard. CPUs and DDR4 are normal-ish, but those motherboard prices are eye-watering.

Arwen

MVP
One comment that comes from the forum, SCALE appears to only support UEFI booting. So if you buy an older system board, check for UEFI boot support.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can't imagine why, but anything that does not UEFI boot is too old to seriously consider anyway...

sfatula

Guru
I haven't tried it, but see this thread, according to them it does work.

Gelax

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

I ask for corporate BACKUP use. TrueNAS CORE 13.0-U6.1

Can you recommend a more than good hardware configuration for True Nas CORE latest version ?

I'm a little confused for the following reasons:

I would like to use ECC RAM even 32Gb

N.1 1Tb SDD or NVME drive for system boot. I already have this: Samsung SSD 980 V-NAND NVME M.2
N.2 HD Western Digital GOLD 8TB hard drives configured in RAID1 in mirror.

The doubt is on the motherboard and the CPU.

I thought any CPU and motherboard that supported ECC RAM would be fine but by reading the forum I realized that this is not true.
True Nas core does not work with Alder Lake CPU there are problems.

And the number of motherboards that support ECC RAM is shrinking.

Maybe it's better to go with XEON which supports ECC.

But which model of Xeon CPU and motherboard?
I would like to purchase only new products currently on the market

Thank you