CRITICAL: The volume Main_server (ZFS) status is DEGRADED

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
SuperMicro X9SCL
You know, this motherboard expects you to have ECC RAM. I think an X9 board will tolerate non-ECC RAM (an X10 won't), but theoretically you can't just replace the board without probably upgrading to ECC RAM. You are going to a server grade motherboard.

Anyway, what you'll "get" for the "upgrade" is a server-grade chipset (designed for stability and reliability) rather than a gamer-grade chipset (designed for overclocking, and handling all the other bullshit), the motherboard won't have extraneous things (audio, etc.) that are not relevant for a server, and you'll now have a chipset which expects ECC RAM. This is the "right way" to run a server like FreeNAS, if data integrity is your goal.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I think an X9 board will tolerate non-ECC RAM (an X10 won't),
By the way, you should check on this. I'm only 80% sure.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Most server boards aren't validated with non-ECC RAM, but low-to-mid end workstation boards tend to be.
X10SAE has non-ECC RAM listed, whereas the X10SLM+-F doesn't, for instance.

From a technical standpoint, they should all run fine with non-ECC RAM, assuming compatible designs.

lyle

Contributor
Dang, that would suck! Danb35 seemed to think I could use my current ram for now. I will investigate further. Thanks for the heads-up and info.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I don't know @Ericloewe , we had a guy in the IRC just today who received a new X10SLM or X10SLL (can't remember which), and could not boot it at all with non-ECC RAM. Booted fine with ECC RAM. I think they're serious about it in some of those X10 models where they specifically say ECC where some of the other models say ECC or non-ECC.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't know @Ericloewe , we had a guy in the IRC just today who received a new X10SLM or X10SLL (can't remember which), and could not boot it at all with non-ECC RAM. Booted fine with ECC RAM. I think they're serious about it in some of those X10 models where they specifically say ECC where some of the other models say ECC or non-ECC.
While not very likely, Supermicro's BIOS might refuse to proceed with the boot sequence if it fails to initialize the memory controller with ECC working. It's possible, but adds complexity at a stage where complexity is most unwelcome, since everything has to be done in registers (unless Intel's processors allow cache to be used without an initiated memory controller).

I find it more likely that it was just some incompatible DIMMs, like what happened with Kingston.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Danb35 seemed to think I could use my current ram for now.
Yes, I did make it sound that way. I'm sorry, I have no idea why I would have suggested that. To the best of my knowledge, the X9SCL requires ECC RAM. It's certainly worth trying with your RAM first, but that's my understanding. Again, my apologies for the error.

lyle

Contributor
Arrggg...it seems I am still in need of help. I added two SMART tests as recommended (short self-test). I am sure this is the only change I made and now I cannot access my drives from Windows explorer. I have full access through the GUI, my Plex plugin is working fine, just can't access from Windows Explorer: "Windows cannot access \\192.168.0.250" (or "\\freenas")

What have I done ...?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Make sure you are using the correct user to authenticate with the share. And that user also needs to have correct access to that share.

lyle

Contributor
Thanks for the hint. You reminded me that I did make one other change: setting up an email address to receive alarm notifications. I must have messed up the authentication somehow during those steps. Back in business now, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.