Not open for further replies.

Minseok Choi

Cadet
FreeNAS version : 9.2.16 x64
CPU : Intel E3-1200
RAM : 16GiB
M/B : Supermicro X10SLM-F
RAID : On-board(Intel C224 Express PCH)

My system has four repository disks. They have been created two RAID1 volumes by On-board RAID controller such as the below.

DISK1+DISK2 = Volume1
DISK3+DISK4 = Volume2

So, I expected the volumes show under the FreeNAS but it just shows four disks such as below figure.
Please let me know what I should do.

upload_2014-7-24_11-2-50.png

Thank you.

Yatti420

Wizard
NOTE: instead of mixing ZFS RAID with hardware RAID, it is recommended that you place your hardware RAID controller in JBOD mode and let ZFS handle the RAID. According to Wikipedia: "ZFS can not fully protect the user's data when using a hardware RAID controller, as it is not able to perform the automatic self-healing unless it controls the redundancy of the disks and data. ZFS prefers direct, exclusive access to the disks, with nothing in between that interferes. If the user insists on using hardware-level RAID, the controller should be configured as JBOD mode (i.e. turn off RAID-functionality) for ZFS to be able to guarantee data integrity. Note that hardware RAID configured as JBOD may still detach disks that do not respond in time; and as such may require TLER/CCTL/ERC-enabled disks to prevent drive dropouts. These limitations do not apply when using a non-RAID controller, which is the preferred method of supplying disks to ZFS."

Your using on board raid on the motherboard? That's a no-no.. You want to have all 4 disks normal via sata.. NO RAID.. Then install freenas on your usb.. get into the webgui and from the storage setup create 2 zpools - mirrors..

• Stripe: requires at least one disk
  • Mirror: requires at least two disks
  • RAIDZ1: requires at least three disks
  • RAIDZ2: requires at least four disks
  • RAIDZ3: requires at least five disks

I would review the docs.. http://doc.freenas.org/index.php

Edit: Personally I would do a raid z2.. I guess you could have the 2nd pool mirroring the 1st mirror but not sure if this provides same redundancy.. Oh and don't use any APM or spindown.. No point with the way freenas is running now..

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FreeNAS version : 9.2.16 x64
CPU : Intel E3-1200
RAM : 16GiB
M/B : Supermicro X10SLM-F
RAID : On-board(Intel C224 Express PCH)

My system has four repository disks. They have been created two RAID1 volumes by On-board RAID controller such as the below.

DISK1+DISK2 = Volume1
DISK3+DISK4 = Volume2

So, I expected the volumes show under the FreeNAS but it just shows four disks such as below figure.
Please let me know what I should do.

View attachment 4664

Thank you.

Did you read anything at all? DO NOT USE RAID WITH ZFS!

It's one thing to be stuck with a RAID card that doesn't do HBA mode, but using Intel FakeRAID instead of ZFS? There's no valid excuse for even thinking of doing that!

Destroy every array you set up and configure everything in FreeNAS.

If you want mirrors (in other words, if you're doing more than file sharing, backups and streaming), make two vdevs of two mirrored drives.
RAIDZ2 is probably a better option, though. Just select all disks and choose RAIDZ2.

And please, read the documentation and the stickies.

Status
Not open for further replies.