Create Share and Folders

konig87

Cadet
Good evening,
i just installed FreeNas for the first time, i created a ZFS pool (mirror) named "MyPool", I activated SMB service and a SMB share with path:
/mnt/MyPool
i can access via SMB \\192.168.1.32 , log in with root password and it works.
Now i have to:
1) create some subfolders into MyPool, example Peter, John, Sandra
2) create different shares SMB, for each folder
3) create different users with password, everyone have to read-write to his folder and read only others.

i stucked at 1st step, i dont understand where/how to create subfolders. Can you please explain?
Thanks a lot

Alecmascot

Guru
It's all in the FreeNAS documentation and by searching this forum

konig87

Cadet
i tried, but i m a beginner: i arrived to a page that showed me a columb on the right side where i can associate RW rights to every user, but i don t remember how to return to that page.
I see that a subfolder is automatically created when i create a new User. That's good.
Any help or link please?

I see that a subfolder is automatically created when i create a new User. That's good.

It's not recommended to use the very top level root dataset (which has the same name as the pool) to hold and serve data. Best practice is to create datasets underneath.

As for creating subfolders, you can do this from any File Browser (Windows Explorer, Linux, Mac OSX). Just right-click > Create New Folder.

You can then use these subfolders to create new SMB Shares under the Sharing > SMB section.

konig87

Cadet
You can then use these subfolders to create new SMB Shares under the Sharing > SMB section.

ok, can you please tell me where to find, in Documentation, the Page where can i assign Rights to users? i'd like some user to RW some folders, other read only, and so forth...