Create Raidz2 with Different Sized Disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flurocity

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

After reading about the competition i've decided to go with FreeNAS, just hope someone can help me get started.

I'm aware that a vdev can be created with disks that aren't all the same size. My question is what are the commands that i need to do in order to do this, as i've read that the GUI doesn't allow for non-optimal raids to be created and the option to do so also doesn't appear in the GUI.
I also currently have 1x5TB, 4x4TB and 1x2TB and wanted to made a raidz2 array out of them. Once i've created the vdev i'd like to expand it by replacing the 2TB drive and putting in another 5TB drive (Mobo has 6 sata ports only), pretty sure i'll only be able to use 4TB per drive but that's okay by me. I understand that the replace/grow feature can be done through the GUI, so i think i should be okay with that.

Thanks in advance.

Flurocity

Cadet
Thanks for that.

It comes up with an error "Error: Unable to GPT format the disk ada4" I just tried wiping the disk to see if that helps and its come up with "Error:Failed to wipe ada4: dd: /dev/ada4: Operation not permitted"

Any ideas?

gpsguy

You might try DBAN - DBAN.org

Use the quick option- it will still take time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.