CrashPlan Plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcevan

Patron
I did add the mount points. I have 4 of them filled up from mounting to my pool for my family photos, docs, videos, and music.

While I followed Sully to the letter (e.g., no VIMAGE, yes, NAT), I turn it on, SSH in from a client and manually start the CrashPlanService OK, but I am getting:

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack location - find_vma failed
In the engine_output.log and
/etc/host.conf: line 2: bad command `hosts'
/etc/host.conf: line 3: bad command `dns'
from the engine_error.log
Not sure why, as I mod'd root's pwd inside the jail and restarted that service so I could SSH in from client just fine.

marcevan

Patron
Now googling I got this from a linux forum... hope it helps the JVM error's but I'm not sure how to handle in FreeBSD for FreeNAS.

I finaly found what was the problem.

If anyone wants to know the reason, here it is:
it needs /proc !
so, you can just do:
mount --bind /proc /chrootedpath/proc

marcevan

Patron
Still having some issues. I added Passwordauthentication yes and AllowTcpForwarding yes into ssh_config and still can't connect? must be something i'm missing.

You need to update sshd_config, not ssh_config. Then restart the service and you'll be fine.

Hi-Liter

Explorer
I was able to get the Crashplan plugin, in it's current form, working with a combination of steps....

1. Installed Crashplan plugin/jail using the crashplan plug install via the UI.

2. Opened the jail (crashplan_1) and unchecked VIMAGE and checked NAT. Jail > crashplan_1 > edit jail > uncheck VIMAGE and check NAT. (even after I got the JVM going, I still couldn't see the listening IP and port on my network until I disabled VIMAGE and enabled NAT)

3. Started the plugin via the UI. Plugins > Crashplan > Service Status > ON.

3a. Make sure to accept the CrashPlan terms by clicking on Plugins (on the left hand side) > then click Crashplan > an agreement pop-up should appear.

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-11-20%2520at%252011.39.03%2520AM.png

4. From a terminal prompt (or whatever you use to SSH), SSH into FreeNAS, login as root, and then access your crashplan_1 jail.

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-10-28%2520at%25209.59.24%2520AM.png

5. Assuming you've edited your jail (see 2) and enabled the plugin (see 3), and you've logged into your jail (see 4) check to see if the CrashPlanEngine port is showing/listening, chances are it's not due to the JVM crashing on launch (why I have no idea). Check the CrashPlanEngine listening port using the "sockstat -4" and look for your jails IP and port "xx.xx.xx.xx:4243"

Example of what the sockstat -4 will look like when the Crashplan engine is not running....
Screen%2520Shot%25202013-10-28%2520at%25209.59.42%2520AM.png

6. If you don't see the jails IP and port, run the following command (thank you topprospect):
cpuset -l 0 /usr/local/share/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine start

Note: (cpuset -l 0 (The 0 is a zero, not a o... the font markup doesn't clearly define that) Thanks to the folks who pointed that out.

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-10-28%2520at%25209.59.53%2520AM.png

7. After successfully starting the CrashPlanEngine, you should see the jail IP and port listening...

Example of what it'll look like when the Crashplan engine IS running...
Screen%2520Shot%25202013-10-28%2520at%252010.00.03%2520AM.png

8. To check the status/PID, run the following command (thank you topprospect): /usr/local/share/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine status

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-10-28%2520at%252010.00.12%2520AM.png

9. At this point, the Crashplan engine is running. You'll need to setup your headless client to connect to the Crashplan engine. You'll also need to add storage to the crashplan_1 jail for the engine to backup to the Crashplan cloud.

Take Aways: You will need to start the Crashplan engine manually after each jail or freenas restart. Hopefully this could be resolved in a future update. Otherwise, I've been up and running for a week now without an issue. Are the above steps the "proper" way of resolving the issue, I'm not sure. I know enough to be dangerous and learning more everyday but by no means an expert.

I hope this helps.

Sully
Unfortunately, this does not work for me in 9.2.0 Release any longer (when you disable VIMAGE in the jail, the NAT checkbox is greyed out). Anyone got it running in 9.2?

In my 9.2 setup, the crashplan plugin seems to work (process is running and is listening on the correct ports), but I cannot connect my client.

sully

Explorer
Unfortunately, this does not work for me in 9.2.0 Release any longer (when you disable VIMAGE in the jail, the NAT checkbox is greyed out). Anyone got it running in 9.2?

In my 9.2 setup, the crashplan plugin seems to work (process is running and is listening on the correct ports), but I cannot connect my client.

I was able to get it running by deleting the jail and plugin (3.5.3) and reinstalling the new plugin (3.5.3_1). I unchecked both VIMAGE and NAT and verified my network gateway was entered in the jail IPv4 default gateway field (i was getting some weird message about the gateway not found which i mentioned in Announcing FreeNAS 9.2.0-RELEASE). Verified the jail IP was the same as before and that my headless client was pointing to the correct IP. All is working now. I did, however, have to setup the jail storage shares and adopt the backup in Crashplan.

Hi-Liter

Explorer
Thanks, that seems to work (although I cannot enter the jail's default gateway since this field is also disabled when unchecking VIMAGE or NAT).

sully

Explorer
Thanks, that seems to work (although I cannot enter the jail's default gateway since this field is also disabled when unchecking VIMAGE or NAT).

Interesting. This is what I see (see attachment). Have you tried restarting the Jail?

Attachments

• jail_crash.png
    jail_crash.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 331

Hi-Liter

Explorer
Ok, works after restarting the jail. I had the jail disabled and then tried to change the settings. Under those circumstances, it seems to disable certain fields when checking/unchecking NAT.

David E

Contributor
FWIW I just did a fresh install of this plugin/jail in 9.2.0 and setup was very straightforward. The only things I think could be improved is to pre-set up an account for SSH with a private key downloadable from the web UI, and pre-enable SSH with the needed forwarding options.

afmiller

Contributor
Hey Guys,
I'm new to the Plugin / Jail part of freeNAS and I am tying to set up crashplan. My biggest issue is getting the engine started on my freenas box. I've installed the plugin, enabled SSH. Set up the Linux_load to True. I have no issue reading the a forum, if someone could point me in the right direction about starting the Engine, so I don't get hung up trying to forward the port via SSH.

Thanks,
Brian

David E

Contributor
Hey Guys,
I'm new to the Plugin / Jail part of freeNAS and I am tying to set up crashplan. My biggest issue is getting the engine started on my freenas box. I've installed the plugin, enabled SSH. Set up the Linux_load to True. I have no issue reading the a forum, if someone could point me in the right direction about starting the Engine, so I don't get hung up trying to forward the port via SSH.

Is this FreeNAS 9.2.0? Did you start the plugin from the plugins tab? You have to use port forwarding, or reconfigure the headless client to listen on all IPs, to be able to configure. Did you install Crashplan on your client OS, and change its target port/ip address? What OS is your client?

afmiller

Contributor
David,
I am running FreeNAS 9.2.0, The plugin is started, I am trying to create the ssh tunnel for the headless client from the link in the plugin for set up, My Client OS is Win 7 and has CrashPlan on it installed. When I go into my Jail folder and do jls, my jail for crashplan doesn't have an IP address. How do I go about fixing this, the plugin has an IP address, I've unchecked
VIMAGE and trying to check NAT, but it wont stay checked, also the GUI part of the Jail shows that it has an ip, but it doesn't show in the cmd line when I do the jls command

David E

Contributor
What command are you running? just run ifconfig within the jail and paste the output.

afmiller

Contributor
root@crashplan_1:/ # ifconfig
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

epair0b: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=8<VLAN_MTU>
ether 02:17:61:00:0e:0b inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
inet6 fe80::17:61ff:fe00:e0b%epair0b prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)
root@crashplan_1:/ #

when I run the jls command it doesn't show an ip there. The jls command was being run from root

afmiller

Contributor
I guess my issue is the sshd for the jail, I can't connect to it, trying to edit the /etc/rc.conf but it keeps reverting it back to NO instead of YES.
I got the rc.conf edited, but its still refusing connection for user1 and root, even ssh 192.168.1.2

Thought I would clarify more, I am doing this inside the jail that was created crashplan_1

below is my config within the Jail

portmap_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="YES"
sendmail_enable="NO"
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
devfs_enable="YES"
devfs_system_ruleset="devfsrules_common"
crashplan_enable="YES"

David E

Contributor
Hmm, I just used the console for the jail from the web UI, did vi /etc/rc.conf, set it to YES, saved and exited, stopped and started the jail again, and it persisted just fine.

afmiller

Contributor
Ah, that's the part I was missing, though the config change went effective instantly, restarted the service and I'm able to SSH into it now. Is it normal for the /mnt drive to show as 1 file and 0 mb in the crashplan app?

Status
Not open for further replies.