SOLVED CrashPlan not connected to CrashPlan Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew076

Patron
So I have been having issues ever since the update to 9.10. Crashplan does not connect to crashplan central nor does the GUI connect.

I have edited the .ui_properties files and all of those.

I think that the issue may have to do with Java but I have no idea on how to trouble shoot it.

When I run Sockstat -l

this is what I get (partial list)

Code:
root  java  20559 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  20426 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  20426 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  20281 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  20281 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  20115 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  20115 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  20024 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  20024 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  19884 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  19884 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  19875 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  19875 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  19717 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  19717 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  19570 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  19570 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  19425 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  19425 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  19272 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  19272 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  19141 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  19141 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  18661 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  18661 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  18538 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  18538 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  18404 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  18404 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  18267 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  18267 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  18127 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  18127 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  17976 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  17976 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  17879 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  17879 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  17745 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  17745 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  17595 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  17595 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  17470 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  17470 83 stream (not connected) 
root  java  16719 71 stream (not connected) 
root  java  16719 83 stream (not connected) 
root  syslogd  4581  4  dgram  /var/run/log 
root  syslogd  4581  5  dgram  /var/run/logpriv 
root  syslogd  4581  6  udp6  *:514  *:* 
root  syslogd  4581  7  udp4  *:514  *:* 
root@crashplan_1:/ # 

Can someone help and point me in the correct direction?

Thanks

Xelas

Explorer
I had a similar problem (but I didn't do sockstat). Restarting the jail within Freenas fixed it for me.
The strange thing is that I have 3 backup sets configured, backing up 3 data sets on freenas, all on the same crashplan account, same jail, etc. One of them was still "online", one had stopped backing up 5 days ago, and the other stopped 7 days ago.

Andrew076

Patron
I restarted, rebooted, etc. nothing is working. My gut is telling me that something in updating to 9.10 didn't get transferred correctly, I just can't figure out what. I have been looking in the forums to try to find the original instructions that I used when setting up Crashplan as it had information on how to install Java etc. but I have not found that yet. Very frustrating... I wish there was some other way to do backups etc.

Xelas

Explorer
Ok, I see where you are at. My reply above was before I upgraded from 9.3 to 9.10.

I haven't investigated yet - the upgrade process requires a reboot, which requires me to shut down all of my virtual servers because they all use iSCSI. I ran out of time last night.

There are threads with people who have given up and reinstalled from scratch - that may be the way to go.

Crashplan on FreeNas has always required a lot of babysitting, but I don't think there is another solution where you can back up a file server for a few bucks / month, so I put up with the tantrums. I have about 3TB backed up there right now, and that costs a fortune anywhere else.

Andrew076

Patron
I have looked at a few of those threads but I haven't seen the instructions again to get Java installed. That was from what I remember a big sticking point when I first set this up a while ago. Anyone know about how to install and then link to java to the jail? Also, if I wanted to completely delete and restart how would I do that exactly? As I have not done that in the past.

Andrew076

Patron
Crashplan sent me an e-mail that I wasn't connected. the Plugin shows that is it is on

Code:
root@crashplan_1:/ # tail /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/log/history.l
og.0 
I 04/29/16 01:30PM CrashPlan started, version 4.6.0, GUID 685261327299510273 
I 04/29/16 01:30PM Installing upgrade - version 1435813200460 
I 04/29/16 01:31PM Upgrade installed - version 1435813200460 
I 04/29/16 01:31PM CrashPlan started, version 4.6.0, GUID 685261327299510273 
I 04/29/16 01:31PM Installing upgrade - version 1435813200460 
I 04/29/16 01:31PM Upgrade installed - version 1435813200460 
I 04/29/16 01:31PM CrashPlan started, version 4.6.0, GUID 685261327299510273 
I 04/29/16 01:32PM Installing upgrade - version 1435813200460 
I 04/29/16 01:32PM Upgrade installed - version 1435813200460 
I 04/29/16 01:32PM CrashPlan started, version 4.6.0, GUID 685261327299510273 
root@crashplan_1:/ #  

What do you type to see the history log in the shell? My GUI is not connecting either.

Separate note, does/has anyone heard of a way to backup to DropBox? they have a paid service that should be able to handle the data...

Xelas

Explorer
Not ignoring this - but just incredibly busy. Mine has been offline since the 9.3 --> 9.10 upgrade as well, but this coincided roughly with 2 different drives failing on 2 different PCs at the same time in the house (not on my NAS! NAS is healthy) and with very packed weekends and busy workdays.
I DO want to sleep, too!
When it rains, it pours . . . .

Regarding DropBox - DropBox is a "sync" service, not a real backup service. If you delete a file (even by accident) it will disappear from DropBox (although you can restore them for a limited period of time). Dropbox doesn't encrypt in ways that matter to me. It is also a bear to get going with shared drives on Windows - possible, but very unsupported, which limits it's flexibility as an all-in-one tool. And then for the volumes I need backed up (a few TB) it would be extremely expensive.

Backblaze has no Linux client (only Windows and OSx, AFAIK), and they thoroughly check to see if the user is trying to back up shared drives, so you can rule them out.

At least with Crashplan, the application is running in a Java environment in a Linux compatibility layer, and the issues are with Java and the Linux shim, not the Crashplan application itself. Almost all the issues so far have been that it keeps overwriting the ui.conf files and breaking the link between the GUI and the engine, but that's very simple to fix. Thsi is the 2nd time in about 2 or 3 years that the application has broken badly - but it's several hundred bucks cheaper than anything else, so I've been putting up with it.

When the Crashplan application is working (which I admit isn't as simple as it should be and requires way too much babysitting), it works very well, supports all of the features I need, and is very very cheap for what you're getting.

I think someone is working to get a utility working with Amazon Cloud Backup, but it's not 100% there yet, and it was a very manual install process. Last I heard, they could get encryption working at all, so all files were backing up openly. If you have any personal data in those files, that's a very bad idea.

EDIT: I'm planning to look at this very carefully when I get time:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/tested-crashplan-4-5-setup.41418/page-2#post-274379

zoomzoom

Guru
I know when I set up crashplan months back on 9.3, I had similar issues; however, I can't remember what was causing java listening issues.

I do know I haven't experienced this at all when configuring CrashPlan on 9.10 in a FreeBSD 10.3 jail. I personally would recommend copying any custom files/directories in the crashplan jail to your storage on FreeNAS, removing the crashplan plugin, then adding the FreeBSD 10.3 jail and mtree to the templates.
It's important the name of the template is pluginjail, otherwise jails won't be created with the 10.3 template. Once the template has been added, reinstall the crashplan plugin, then follow this tutorial on configuring it for first use. I also recommend reading this tutorial as well, as certain steps are missing from the first tutorial.

Andrew076

Patron
I know when I set up crashplan months back on 9.3, I had similar issues; however, I can't remember what was causing java listening issues.

I do know I haven't experienced this at all when configuring CrashPlan on 9.10 in a FreeBSD 10.3 jail. I personally would recommend copying any custom files/directories in the crashplan jail to your storage on FreeNAS, removing the crashplan plugin, then adding the FreeBSD 10.3 jail and mtree to the templates.
It's important the name of the template is pluginjail, otherwise jails won't be created with the 10.3 template. Once the template has been added, reinstall the crashplan plugin, then follow this tutorial on configuring it for first use. I also recommend reading this tutorial as well, as certain steps are missing from the first tutorial.

So, when you say adding FreeBSD 10.3 jail and mtree to the templates. What do you mean by that exactly, and how would you do that?

Edit:
So I "believe" the template is under tails Templates. You are suggesting that I should add a Jail Template. Which I did (see picture)

AddJail.JPG

But, when I hit "OK" I got the following error:

Error.JPG

Code:
Environment:

Software Version: FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201605021851 (35c85f7)
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://192.168.1.11/jails/template/create/

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in get_response
  105.  response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
  156.  return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
  22.  return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/jails/views.py" in jail_template_create
  542.  form.save()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/forms/models.py" in save
  446.  construct=False)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/forms/models.py" in save_instance
  99.  instance.save()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py" in save
  545.  force_update=force_update, update_fields=update_fields)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py" in save_base
  573.  updated = self._save_table(raw, cls, force_insert, force_update, using, update_fields)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py" in _save_table
  654.  result = self._do_insert(cls._base_manager, using, fields, update_pk, raw)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py" in _do_insert
  687.  using=using, raw=raw)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/manager.py" in _insert
  232.  return insert_query(self.model, objs, fields, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py" in insert_query
  1514.  return query.get_compiler(using=using).execute_sql(return_id)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py" in execute_sql
  903.  cursor.execute(sql, params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/util.py" in execute
  53.  return self.cursor.execute(sql, params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/utils.py" in __exit__
  99.  six.reraise(dj_exc_type, dj_exc_value, traceback)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/util.py" in execute
  53.  return self.cursor.execute(sql, params)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/sqlite3_ha/base.py" in execute
  372.  execute = Database.Cursor.execute(self, query, params)

Exception Type: IntegrityError at /jails/template/create/
Exception Value: UNIQUE constraint failed: jails_jailtemplate.jt_name
Error.JPG

Last edited:

zoomzoom

Guru
**See my next post prior to reading**

I have no clue why you're receiving that, however a hunch says it's a bug. I received a similar screen when trying to add an unauthenticated share through the Wizard. I would recommend creating a thread specifically about the error output you're receiving to see if anyone can rule it out as a bug. If no one can after a day or so, I'd recommend filing a bug report.

There is a slim chance it could be due to not removing, then recreating, your jail dataset after upgrading to 9.10. I know in the release announcement for 9.10 the gentleman who did the write up did mention in order to have FreeNAS default to a FreeBSD 10.3 template, the jail dataset would need to be destroyed, then recreated (I meant to mention that earlier). It wasn't stated what would occur if one simply manually added the 10.3 template, which does leave the option open. If you don't have a lot of jails, I would try destroying and recreating the jail dataset when you have time (ensure you backup any custom files in the respective jails, that way you can simply copy or move those files into the new jails).
  • If you do choose to destroy and recreate your jail dataset, you must still manually add in the 10.3 template, as not doing so will result in the jails being 9.3 jails (at least that was my experience, however this could have been an integrated change into more recent updates)

Last edited:

zoomzoom

Guru
Last edited:

Andrew076

Patron

Thanks. That worked this time. Now on to trying to delete and reinstall everything :)

Andrew076

Patron
So when I tried to delete the Plugin nothing happened. It just stayed there. (Not sure how to delete the old jail either).

I did try to setup a new jail and that seemed to work and then I decided to try to install Crashplan again. At this point I got an error message something about "Database or dataset (can't remember) is locked".

When I went to look at the jails I saw that it created a new jail. So now I realize that I didn't need to create the jail first. So I have deleted the two new jails (there was a nice little trash can available to click on).

I am now left with the Crashplan plugin (which has not been deleted) and the old Jail which doesn't have a delete button under it.

It is interesting to note that the Crashplan plugin shows up when you click on the Plugin icon at the top, but is not in the list of plugins on the left.

Thanks for any help...

CurrentStatus.JPG

Last edited:

zoomzoom

Guru
Try shutting down/stopping the jail via selecting the jail in the WebGUI, then clicking the red button (bottom of page next to other jail options). Once the jail is completely shutdown, go back to the installed plugins page and delete the plugin, which in turn should delete the jail

Andrew076

Patron
Try shutting down/stopping the jail via selecting the jail in the WebGUI, then clicking the red button (bottom of page next to other jail options). Once the jail is completely shutdown, go back to the installed plugins page and delete the plugin, which in turn should delete the jail

I don't have a red button...

Jail.JPG

zoomzoom

Guru
No red button, with a green button instead, means the jail is shutdown [stopped, shown in status]. All you should need to do now is click delete on the installed plugin page

Andrew076

Patron
Could this be part of the problem? I have all of these storage added. (Side note was this correct to begin with? The files are located in /mnt/Media/Pictures/ but the destination was setup differently (I just added BK) to the end of it.

Storage.JPG
[/Screenshot]

Andrew076

Patron
No red button, with a green button instead, means the jail is shutdown [stopped, shown in status]. All you should need to do now is click delete on the installed plugin page
How long should that take? This screen was there for about 20 minutes....

Delete Screen.JPG

zoomzoom

Guru
It shouldn't as the mount point will remain regardless if the plugin is installed or not. A jail is a VM, so if it's shutdown, the mount points are not mounted.

I t shouldn't take that long to delete a plugin, however i assume it would also depend on system resources. Log in via SSH, or better via IPMI, and check out the logs

Andrew076

Patron
It shouldn't as the mount point will remain regardless if the plugin is installed or not. A jail is a VM, so if it's shutdown, the mount points are not mounted.

I t shouldn't take that long to delete a plugin, however i assume it would also depend on system resources. Log in via SSH, or better via IPMI, and check out the logs

I have no idea what that means "SSH" I assume is the Shell. IPMI no clue... assuming that is the shell what log am I looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.