CPU stress tutorial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwarznavy

Cadet
Howdy,
First I want to say how vibrant this forum is and I appreciate reading and benefitting from everyone's prior (pain and) advice.

I already put my new build through 11 passes of memtest86+ with no problems.

Now I'm on to cpustress and I'm not really sure what to do. I have ubcd on a bootable USB stick. I have no hard drives installed yet. In fact my case isn't even fully closed.

What is the recommendation on how to use cpustress? Is the point to monitor temps while doing so? If so, how? None of the cpuburn tools seem to show temps. Or is the goal to just run it and make sure stuff doesn't blow up? If temps are the issue, then I guess that means the case and fans should be closed up and enabled in the final way I expect to?

Thanks for any comments.
Matt

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I think the point is to stress it and see if it crashes. Don't overdo it. Do close the case for all stress tests, to ensure proper airflow.

Stux

MVP
I just use mprime95. Run the torture tests. Watch the thermals. They should not climb above a safe levels and it should be able to run continuously for days.

Run HD stress tests simultaneously.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
HDD burn in and prime95 at the same time to test power limits and heat limits. I don't really care about cpu stress anymore since they are usually fine. HDD and memory burn in catch most of the problems.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Schwarznavy

Cadet
Thanks for replies. Mprime on ubcd doesn't show thermals and I don't currently have a Windows install. Am I missing some way to monitor thermals while running mprime?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ipmi has temps or sysctl -a | grep -i temp

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Schwarznavy

Cadet
Hello all. I figured something out that is probably well-known: with UBCD you can press alt+left or maybe alt+right to get into another console. So I had one console running mprime, a 2nd console running top, and a third console running a UBCD command called sensors that showed my temps. I'm sure there is a pretty simple way to have sensors running repeatedly every minute or so but I didn't figure it out.

Stux

MVP
I just ssh in with multiple consoles or use tmux.

And you could just use FreeNAS as the host os.

Ryan Allen

Explorer
Status
Not open for further replies.