CPU Operating Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmannyr

Contributor
I have a Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz on an X10SL7-F board. What kind of CPU temps should I be aim for? What temps should I consider critical? I searched Intels site but I don't see any HARD numbers to follow. Currently I have it in a Fractal Design Define R5 case with 10 HDD, 2 Noctua Industrial 3K RPM PWM in front, one Fractal Design Venturi HP-14 1500rpm and Stock CPU FAN. The CPU FAN runs mostly at about 1000-1800 RPM keeping temps right at 35-40C even during Scrubs. Wondering If thats where I should be or I'm keeping temps too low. Otherwise I think I may need a better fan. Sometimes the fan is at 1900rpm with minimal work from CPU according to the usage graph in FreeNAS Reporting.

Guidance is appreciated.

m0nkey_

MVP
35-40C sounds about normal, pretty much in the same ballpark as my system. My fan RPMs are also high, but that's mostly because it's a 92mm fan.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There's no such thing as too low when it comes to CPU temperatures.*

*There totally is, but it's not achievable with any sort of reasonable cooling.**
**Reasonable to your average person, not to particle physicists. Those guys cool things way down.

lmannyr

Contributor
35-40C sounds about normal, pretty much in the same ballpark as my system. My fan RPMs are also high, but that's mostly because it's a 92mm fan.

I see you have:
  • Noctua NH-L9x65 CPU cooler
Did it drop your CPU Temp/FAN RPM Any?

Worth it?

Thanks

m0nkey_

MVP
I see you have:
  • Noctua NH-L9x65 CPU cooler
Did it drop your CPU Temp/FAN RPM Any?

Worth it?

Thanks
Originally I purchased the cooler for an Core i5 desktop, however I failed to notice the recommended TDP was much lower than what my i5 was capable of. I was going to return it, but decided to keep it for my FreeNAS, since the TDP was in the range of my E3-Xeon processor. I've not seen much of a difference during day-to-day activity, but where I have seen an improvement is if there is any prolonged CPU usage, typically keeping temperatures in check around 62C when it's being hammered.

lmannyr

Contributor
got it...Thanks

Stux

MVP
I like to keep mine below scolding temps. They 'idle' at about 30-40C, But I'm not adverse to them bumping up to within a few degrees of max junction temperature if I'm stress testing.

The max junction temp is on ark normally. And it varies by CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.