CPU/MOBO Recommendation

SuF1X

Dabbler
Hey All,

I have an old freenas thats running Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v3 on Supermicro X10SL7-F Motherboard.

I am due for an upgrade, mainly because it only has one expansion port that I can use for my 10gb NIC, I want to have both 10gb nic+GPU for plex/emby transcoding 4K HDR movies.

Also I currently run 12 drives of it and would like to up to 24 moving forward.

We use this server as main storage and edit videos from it also got bunch of jails and want to keep some capacity to run few VMS if needed in the future.

any advice would be great.

I have been looking at possibly Intel Xeon E5-2630V3 not sure on mobo. Maybe there is a better gem out there?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have an old freenas thats running Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v3 on Supermicro X10SL7-F Motherboard.
That counts as old now? I guess it does...

Are you sure your current system is unsuitable? I'm thinking that the PCIe 2.0 x4 electrical from the PCH should work well for the 10GbE NIC, with the PCIe 3.0 x8 slot for the GPU. As for more disks, add an SAS expander.
From my point of view, the major limitation of your system is that it's limited to 32 GB of RAM.

SuF1X

Dabbler
That counts as old now? I guess it does...

Are you sure your current system is unsuitable? I'm thinking that the PCIe 2.0 x4 electrical from the PCH should work well for the 10GbE NIC, with the PCIe 3.0 x8 slot for the GPU. As for more disks, add an SAS expander.
From my point of view, the major limitation of your system is that it's limited to 32 GB of RAM.
hey, yeah ram is an issue and lack of drive capacity (space) I've now picked up a 24 bay system and just need to change one of the raid cards to expander.