cp data from Z-Pool to Ext HDD via USB (question)

Whe3zy

Dabbler
Hello, Can anyone guide me to how to meet my objective?

System – TrueNAS v12.0, Generic Platform

Objective – Copy data from TrueNAS Z-Pool (/mnt/Raid-Z) to external HDD connected to TrueNAS box via USB.

Q1- What File Format does the Ext HDD need to be?

Ive tried NTFS and Ext4 (both of which I can see the Ext HDD mounted in Storage/Disks.

1.png

So far the only way I have found to copy data to the Ext HDD is to make the Ext HDD its own pool. But in doing so, it then formats the Ext HDD to a ZFS (which Im not interested in doing). I would like to keep either the NTFS or Ext4 file format.

I would like to copy data via from Raid-Z to Ext HDD from the TrueNAS shell

ie: cp -r /mnt/Raid-Z/Documents /mnt/ExtUSB/Documents

Can anyone tell me what I need to do for meeting my objective?

Linkman

Patron
Attach the external drive to another PC, mount it, and copy over the network from the FreeNAS box to the mounted drive.

Whe3zy

Dabbler
Attach the external drive to another PC, mount it, and copy over the network from the FreeNAS box to the mounted drive.
2 issues with that.. I have nearly 1 TB of data to transfer (which will take for ever to transfer via network connection) also, upon upgrading from v11.3 to v12.0 my SMB shares are all hosed up and i cant get them correct. My plan is to copy data off of Raid-Z and start fresh with my System and pools.

Whe3zy

Dabbler
I had to copy the data from the Raid-Z pool to the ExtUSB pool, then set up SMB shares with the data to the ExtUSB drive /pool. Finally after that was i able to copy the needed data from the NAS to another machine. Something about upgrading my pools from v11.3 to v12.0 really messed something. I intend on wiping my Raid-Z drives and staring them over fresh.

artlessknave

Wizard
it looks like you have it solved, but it's worth noting that rsync is often better than cp for...basically everything