Question about resizing a pool to use more space

samehfattouh

Cadet
Welcome

I have a Raid Z1 pool with 3 HDD and 1 spare.

Each hard disk 4 TB and 2 TB spare

I replaced 2 HDD from 4TB to 10TB

The pool does not take up new space (extension)

I was asked and learned that the space will only be extended when 3 HDDs have the same space

I can't buy a new HDD now

I ask how it is possible to reduce the pool area by making it only have 2 HDD only for each HDD 10 TB without losing data
With making the pool take the new space for the hard drives, each hard 10 TB

And remove the rest HDD 4 TB and backup HDD 2 TB

please help me

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 149

danb35

Hall of Famer
I ask how it is possible to reduce the pool area by making it only have 2 HDD only for each HDD 10 TB without losing data
It is not possible. As you've already read, the pool will not expand until all disks are replaced with larger ones. But what's the pool capacity right now? If it's about 4 TB, your spare is limiting your capacity, and removing that spare will let your pool expand to about 8 TB.

samehfattouh

Cadet
It is not possible. As you've already read, the pool will not expand until all disks are replaced with larger ones. But what's the pool capacity right now? If it's about 4 TB, your spare is limiting your capacity, and removing that spare will let your pool expand to about 8 TB.
my space now is 6.89 TIB,
iam remove the spare HDD
i ask how to make pool only have 2 HDD every HDD 10 TIB and make it mirror without loss data
Please Help Me

danb35

Hall of Famer
i ask how to make pool only have 2 HDD every HDD 10 TIB and make it mirror without loss data
The only way to do that is to back up the data, destroy the pool, create a new pool, and restore the data. Which you should already know if you've read any of the relevant docs.

spuky

Explorer
you could create a 2nd pool with the removed 2 removed 4 TB drives as a mirror should fit your data...

then replicate your Pool onto that...

destroy the main pool set it up with the 10TB mirror...

and replicate back...

but that is just one way of:

danb35:

to back up the data, destroy the pool, create a new pool, and restore the data.

samehfattouh

Cadet
The only way to do that is to back up the data, destroy the pool, create a new pool, and restore the data. Which you should already know if you've read any of the relevant docs.
What the best way to take backup then restore