CouchPotato not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtK

Patron
Hey
I've installed several plugins (and jails) but CP doesn't want to start.
the only log I found is:
Code:
couchpotato_1 root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/couchpotato: WARNING: failed to start couchpotato

is there anywhere else I can check for errors besides /var/log/messages?

sdspieg

Contributor
Same problem. Plugins do seem to be a big problem overall still - they are very 'fragile'. For me rebooting the server solved most problems with plugins not starting; but not those with CP indeed.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think the problem is that there is an expectation that you'll have a fairly strong background in this stuff before you start using it. But that's not the typical user that we attract. We seem to attract almost entirely Windows-only users that have never used anything else and think they'll just "pick it up" as they go.

Then they get pwned right off the bat since even the hardware you should be running isn't your typical windows hardware and they blow a fuse.

Then instead of taking a few months to get familiar with an OS they've never touched before and without considering that the manual might be helpful, that there might be stickies in the forum to help you get a lot of things right, or that they really should learn some of this stuff, they show up and start posting. After plowing through it like a semi and hitting every stop sign they could(since they ignored the resource we've already provided) they feel accomplished.

Then they touch the jails.. and the jails touch back... violently.

I'm not exactly a FreeBSD wizard(I got pwned last night trying to setup a new linux jail with the 9.2.0-RC) but I setup the Owncloud plugin in less than an hour without having to Google anything. It's been flawless for me to use too.

As soon as 9.2.0 comes out I'm going to do some more plugins I think.

Overall, I think the problem is people get too cocky with learning a new OS. I don't care how you justify it to yourself, but you just aren't going to learn FreeBSD in a few weeks. PERIOD. You didn't learn Windows in a few weeks, did you? Why would you even entertain the notion you could learn a FAR more sophisticated OS than Windows in a shorter time?

People just don't do the proper research and when the get pwned the immediately assume that they couldn't have done anything wrong and that it must therefore be FreeNAS or the plugin that is junk. I bet if I installed every plugin offered in the appcafe I could have them all up and running in a weekend with no Googling.

It's all about your knowledge and not about your ability to plow through everything like a mack truck. When the weather gets really bad those mack trucks end up on the side of the road too!

MtK

Patron
well, I installed the plugin and it doesn't work.
this has nothing to do with my knowledge, nor my will to fix it - it just doesn't start.

other plugin did install in seconds and their app was up and running in no time.

so again, is there a way of telling why a plugin (in general) and this couchpotato plugin doesn't work, when all the log says is: "failed to start"?

MtK

Patron
[request]
can one of the mods change the title of the topic to NOT instead of now?

cyberjock

Inactive Account

MtK

Patron
thanks

MtK

Patron
just an update, I've deleted the plugin and reinstalled it several time, did the same for the jail itself, still, no luck...

ShinobiX9X

Contributor
I'm sorry i can't help. But i tested it.
I just installed another version of CP and it starts wihout any trouble.

MtK

Patron
I'm sorry i can't help. But i tested it.
I just installed another version of CP and it starts wihout any trouble.

what do you mean by another version?
another jail+plugin...?

ShinobiX9X

Contributor
i wrote it wrong, i meant i have one running, and downloaded one more, that didn't have any problem starting

MtK

Patron
still trying to figure out how can I see the errors here.

anyone?

MtK

Patron
I found this:
Code:
# jexec 6 csh
root@couchpotato_1:/ # service couchpotato start
Starting couchpotato.
su: unknown login: media
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/couchpotato: WARNING: failed to start couchpotato

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Maybe the AppCafe version of CouchPotato doesn't create a media user, or that user was somehow deleted? I suggest you try my version and still see if you are getting issues?

MtK

Patron
Maybe the AppCafe version of CouchPotato doesn't create a media user, or that user was somehow deleted? I suggest you try my version and still see if you are getting issues?

if this were true, it shouldn't have worked for anybody else... :)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
if this were true, it shouldn't have worked for anybody else... :)

good point, yeah maybe it somehow got deleted when uninstalling another plugin?

MtK

Patron
good point, yeah maybe it somehow got deleted when uninstalling another plugin?

don't remember uninstalling any other plugin since they work :)
and if that is the case, it's either a bug inthe uninstaller of that plugin or in the installer of those other plugins...

I just tried installing your plugin and it doesn't start either.
and I've also manually created the media user with uid=816...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
don't remember uninstalling any other plugin since they work :)
and if that is the case, it's either a bug inthe uninstaller of that plugin or in the installer of those other plugins...

I just tried installing your plugin and it doesn't start either.
and I've also manually created the media user with uid=816...

any errors when starting my version?

MtK

Patron
same error:
Code:
# jls
  JID  IP Address      Hostname                      Path
    8  -              customplugin_1                /mnt/Storage/jails/customplugin_1

# jexec 8 csh
root@customplugin_1:/ # service couchpotato start
Starting couchpotato.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
same error:
Code:
# jls
  JID  IP Address      Hostname                      Path
    8  -              customplugin_1                /mnt/Storage/jails/customplugin_1

# jexec 8 csh
root@customplugin_1:/ # service couchpotato start
Starting couchpotato.

you created the media user in the plugin jail's userland (not the base FreeNAS system's userland)? If so try 'su media' from within a shell in the jail's userland.

Status
Not open for further replies.