Correct permissions / ownership help

Status
Not open for further replies.

squid

Cadet
Hello,

After trying to upgrade my SABNZBD I was having issues with plugin's starting so I changed the owner of everything in my jail to media:media.. this unfortunately basically broke everything..

I tried to give ownership back to root, but I keep getting an invalid argument when trying to issue the command. I am managed to bypass this by setting the chmod of all files/folders to 777.. but ideally I'd like to have the proper permissions of everything..

I am also getting an error that login_getclass: unknown class 'daemon' as well.

Can someone please help me with the basics.. this feels like it should be a relatively simple fix but I am unable to give back root ownership and still have no idea what the issue is for 'daemon'.

Thanks!

ProtoSD

MVP
You're basically screwed unless you have a snapshot. Trying to restore the proper permission to hundreds of system files in the jail is nearly impossible if you don't have any way of knowing what they were to begin with.

One possible way, if you *really* knew what you were doing, which it's obvious you don't, would be be to create a completely new jail and write a script to compare the permissions between the 2 jails and reset them.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yeah... I did something similar once, lol. chowned an entire ubuntu system (but that was on bare metal!)

Good thing is it's a jail.
-Backup what you need.
-Delete it in the freenas gui
-to be safe delete the actual folder for the jail too.
-Than re-install a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.