Copying Data over the Network crashes my truenas scale cpu and network connection

techchrix

Cadet
Hi together,

i have a really stupid problem and hope someone can help my out of this disaster.
I setup a new trunas scale system (switch from QNAP to truenas). This are my server specs:

TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.2
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-14600T
Mainboard: ASUS PRO WS W680M-ACE SE
RAM: 2x 32 GB Kingston ECC (KSM48E40BD8KM-32HM)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Power: 1x Thermaltake Toughpower PF1 750W, PC-Netzteil
SSD boot 2x m.2 SSD Force MP510 mirrow
SSD DATA: 2x SSD SAMSUNG_MZ7L37T6HBLA-00A07 mirrow
Backup: 2x ST22000NT001-3LS101 mirrow

What is going on:
If i copy data over the network to my Truenas (SSD Data), the system is coping data with ca. 200MB/s.
The CPU Avg Usage is ca. 5%. After a few seconds the CPU avg usage picks to 60%, 70% sometimes 80% and
the hotest core to over 75°C. Than the speed of the data transfer drops to near 0. A few seconds later the avg usage drops again
to 5% and the speed of the data transfer go back to 200MB/s. This is happing permanantely avery few seconds until the data transfer is finished.
The idle temp of the hottest core is 34°C so it seams not to be a colling problem. I never saw a system using so much spu resources for symple data
transfer over a 2.5GB ethernet.

I will be very thankfull for any ideas where the problem can come from.

Thank you very much
BR
Chris

techchrix

Cadet
Short Update after some Testing....
It is not related to the compression lavel because i tryed this out also with completly disabled compresion.
It is also not related to deduplication because there are no improvments without dedublication.
Compering tke backup and data dataset i find out that the bakcup dataset performing much better and using less cpu
resources than the ssd dataset. Thi smakes for me also not much sense :-(
Maybe Truenas can not handle the Samsung Datacenter SSD's.