Copying a large file has random freezes on Windows??

berengard

Dabbler
I have seen many threads where during some kind of operation (resilver/scrub/other?), ZFS starts to kick SMR disks out of the pool because they are returning CAM STATUS timeouts...
Hmm that's good to know... Thanks!

I wonder if in the case, for my only SMR drive some of those operations can be limited or avoided altogether?
For example, since it's the only drive in the pool, there won't be any resilvering, right? If it dies, that's it.

As for scrubbing, how necessary is it in the case of zfs?
I understand that zfs is designed for some serious storage space where data is meant to be crucial, therefore scrubbing is meant to protect against worse case scenarios (like cosmic flares and such. Is that correct?). But what if my data on that SMR drive is just some movies and photos. If I can accept that one photo might get corrupted once a year, assuming that's how rare it would happen, can scrubs be avoided entirely to extend the drive's longevity?

I know I'm suggesting an unconventional use for zfs, but would that technically work better if all those conditions were met?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I mean, data integrity is the selling point of ZFS... Foregoing scrubs is akin to replacing the seats in a Rolls-Royce with those out of a junked Fiat Punto. Technically not impossible, but why did you pay Rolls-Royce money for that?

berengard

Dabbler
I mean, data integrity is the selling point of ZFS... Foregoing scrubs is akin to replacing the seats in a Rolls-Royce with those out of a junked Fiat Punto. Technically not impossible, but why did you pay Rolls-Royce money for that?
It's because I needed an all in one OS for storage that I was familiar with.
If the Rolls-Royce was free but you only needed to drive to the grocery store, would you pay for a different car instead? Of course if the Rolls-Royce proved to be a liability, then it makes sense to replace it with something else...

But with that said, I just bought a CMR drive to replace the SMR one lol

Arwen

MVP
Performing ZFS scrubs on single disk pools has 2 benefits.

First, you find what data became bad. This allows you to find the backup, (or CD, DVD, Blue-ray), and restore just that file.

Second, by default all Metadata has is redundant, regardless of the vDev / Pool layout. So single disk pools have 2 copies of the standard Metadata which contain your directory entries. Any bad block in standard Metadata can be automatically repaired, thus avoiding the loss of a file or files due to bad directory entry blocks.

(Critical Metadata has 3 copies...)

As for stresses on SMR disks. Scrubs will take longer due to the fragmentation that SMR introduces. And may run longer. So keeping a SMR disk cool is a bit of a concern. But, that applies to SMR disks in general, not just ZFS scrubs on SMR disks. As for wear and tear on SMR disks caused by ZFS scrubs, I don't know. Perhaps running a scrub once a month instead of twice a month. User choice.

I personally run my Media pool on a low power, miniature desktop computer with only 1 x 2.5" bay and 1 mSATA bay. I have a 2TB laptop HDD and a 1TB mSATA in it at present. A portion is partitioned for the OS, Mirrored via ZFS. The rest is striped, no redundancy, (but multiple backups), for my Media.

Occasionally I loose a video file, which are larger and statistically more likely to have a bad block. ZFS tells me what file and I restore it from backups.

Once I had a automatically repaired fault that drove me crazy on how ZFS could repair it. After a few weeks I figured out it must have been a Metadata block that went bad.

berengard

Dabbler
Interesting. That's good to know!
I'm generally learning a lot from this thread. Thanks a lot everyone for the help!

Occasionally I loose a video file, which are larger and statistically more likely to have a bad block. ZFS tells me what file and I restore it from backups.
Yeah, sounds about like my case. I could use the original SMR drive to backup my media and the new CMR drive as the main one.
Will probably set scrubs to run once a month or so.

So my resulting setup will be 4 drives: 2 drives will form one pool with mirroring, that's where the more critical data will be.
3rd CMR drive will form the media pool with no inherent redundancy and have replication to the original SMR drive for backup.
Will probably be ok. :)

berengard

Dabbler
Update:
So the problem was finally rectified.
I've tried to pass the enclosure box to the TrueNAS VM by its USB device but that didn't work as it should because what happened is the box, when connected through USB, was passing all the drives with the same serial number.
So instead of passing the box as a USB device, I connected it through its eSATA interface and passed the on-board eSATA controller to it, which was appearing as an individual device.
That registered all the drives with their unique serial numbers.

On top of all that, I upgraded my one SMR drive to CMR and now am just using the SMR one for a cold backup and no scrubs.
One pool is setup with mirroring, so I have redundancy and both pools have replication tasks.

The freezing is no longer happening and files are being copied at 112MB/sec consistently!!

Whattteva

Wizard
The freezing is no longer happening and files are being copied at 112MB/sec consistently!!
Glad to hear your success story. Now, I wish you the next good luck, which is that we (hopefully) won't see you again in a year or two from now with possible data loss so many other people have done in the past on these forums when running some less-tested configurations. Not saying your setup won't necessarily work, but do keep an eye on it and maintain a backup.

berengard

Dabbler
do keep an eye on it and maintain a backup.
Yup, I'll be backing up my data constantly and I have SMART checks now (cause it's working) and if anything happens I get an email
I will still probably be browsing around here a little. Just to see how others are doing.
Cheers!

Arwen

MVP
Update:
So instead of passing the box as a USB device, I connected it through its eSATA interface and passed the on-board eSATA controller to it, which was appearing as an individual device.
That registered all the drives with their unique serial numbers.
And now you are headed for the next problem;
Any eSATA enclosure supporting more than 1 disk will have either an eSATA Port Multiplier or lightweight RAID controller. Yours seems to have no RAID controller, so it must have an eSATA Port Multiplier.

Of course, an eSATA enclosure with multiple disks, that has 1 eSATA port per disk, is a different animal.

Now you might never have problems. It depends on a lot of factors, like SATA controller, eSATA Port Multiplier and the disks.

But, keep in mind that all your enclosures' disks are funneled through a singe SATA port. Probably 6Gbps... which will likely be fine with hard disk drives.

berengard

Dabbler
And now you are headed for the next problem;
Hmm, considering the post you linked, is the biggest issue with a port multiplier is not enough bandwidth for all the drives and the controller not being able to handle max available bandwith?
In my case there are 4 HDDs on a 6Gbps port. So if all HDDs run simultaneously (which shouldn't happen almost* ever), each is allowed 1.5Gbps, which divided by 8 is about 187MB/sec.

While these drives can technically read at that speed, this can't happen over the network as it's capped at 112-113MB/sec (1Gbps)
and locally there's only one replication task for one of the drives that could go that fast. It runs daily at 3AM when the other drives aren't working.

So with all that considered, I realize there could be unforeseen circumstances and with data, it's better safe than sorry...
but perhaps I'll look into a new server case that can host all the drives, each with individual SATA cable later on.
Though your point is definitely taken! :)

sretalla