Copy Pool-A (unencrypted) to Pool-B (encrypted)

Tom1986

Cadet
I want to transfer all my data (+snapshots) from Pool-A (unencrypted) to Pool-B (encrypted) TrueNAS-12.0-U6. The data should be encrypted when transferring to Pool-B.

However, if I use:
zfs send -Rv Pool-A@snapshot | zfs receive -Fdu Pool-B

I get the following error message
cannot receive new filesystem stream: zfs receive -F cannot be used to destroy an encrypted filesystem or overwrite an unencrypted one with an encrypted one

Matttt

Cadet
Hi, did you find a solution? I have the same problem. I'm using the replication task from the GUI.

That's why I use my "pseudo-root(s)" method. Otherwise, it's a pain in the buttocks.

For some reason that I still cannot fathom the justification, when you create a pool, you automatically create a top-level root dataset of the same name as the pool itself.[1] You can't "replicated into a pool". You always have to replicate into (or under) a dataset. This means that if you have a brand new, fresh and empty poolB, you cannot replicate from another location poolA and all of its children under poolB. You have to replicate each child, one by one, under poolB.

Using the "pseudo-root" method bypasses this. :cool:

[1] This is like starting a brand new city with a population of zero, and the very first building you construct is automatically given the city's name. "I shall call this new town, Nasville! And immediately there shall be a building in its center named... Nasville. Yet anything town-related is completely separate from anything to do with the building. If you want to 'enter Nasville', it's not really clear if you mean the town or the building? You'll have to be specific in how you speak and write."

Last edited: