SOLVED Replicate encrypted dataset

alecz

Dabbler
Hi,
I must be missing something obvious since I think that what I am trying to do should be quire straightforward.

I have an un-encrypted pool called storage and underneath it a passphrase encrypted dataset called protected.

I simply want to setup a replication task for the encrypted dataset to a remote machine that has an empty un-encrypted pool called backups.

so what I want is for the local storage/protected to be replicated to the remote backups/protected and preserve all the properties so that it can be unlocked with the same passphrase

I setup the task (and solved the SSH authentication issues for which it turns out you also need to accept the ECDSA key via the shell).
The replication task settings are:

Transport: SSH
SSH Connection: backup-server.local
Source Dataset: storage/protected
Target Dataset: backups
Recursive: true
Auto: false

However, when I run the task, I get an error:

cannot receive new filesystem stream: zfs receive -F cannot be used to destroy an encrypted filesystem or overwrite an unencrypted one with an encrypted one

I don't understand what I need to do to be able to send the encrypted dataset over to the target pool.
Oddly, I haven't found this scenario documented, not have found a thread with a similar setup. Other threads deal with encrypted pools, or unencrypted datasets to be replicated to encrypted datasets, or how to restore a replication-encrypted dataset.

alecz

Dabbler
I found the issue and it was really simple: I must specify the target filesystem as well, so:

Transport: SSH
SSH Connection: backup-server.local
Source Dataset: storage/protected
Target Dataset: backups/protected
Recursive: true
Auto: false