converting from old Freenas version to new

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a server with dual drives that has been running for 6 years and we are starting to have issues with connecting to it. I wanted to just update everything with new hardware and newest version of software but
can I mount my old drive and recover data on new version and hardware or are their limits like has to be same motherboard and so on? What is my best choice to recover and then get to new hardware / software and transfer data ???

gpsguy

If you are running FreeNAS 0.7 or earlier, I'd suggest you visit www.nas4free.org. The old FreeNAS is supported over there. Once you fix your current issues, you can look onto migrating to the new FreeNAS.

In general the recommendation for migration between 0.7 and 8/9 is to create a new pool a new pool using FreeNAS 8/9 and migrate your old data to it. If your hardware is 6+ years old, you'll probably need new hardware - especially if it's flaky. Check the manual and the stickies to see the hardware requirements.

edit: fix wording, etc. - originally sent from my phone

Last edited:
If you are running FreeNAS 0.7 or earlier, I'd suggest you visit www.nas4free.org. The old FreeNAS is supported over there. Once you fix your current issues, you can look onto migrating to the new FreeNAS. In general the recommendation for migration between 0.7 and 8/9 is to I old a new pool and migrate your old data to it.

I old a new pool ?

Status
Not open for further replies.