Please help transferring files from FreeNAS 9.3 to a new FreeNAS/TrueNAS

Johev

Contributor
Dear Community, I am coming to you with a request for assistance. I have an old FreeNAS box, which has been rock stable for a long time, however I would like to transfer the data from it to a new box, unfortunately I do not manage to make the two systems talk to each other.

Current situation:
I have a DELL T20 with 12GB of ECC RAM and 3 - 4TB Disks (in RAIDZ1)
The pool is currently degraded, as I cannot see 1 of the 4TB disks. The data is still accessible.
Current version FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511040813

I tried to update it several times, however the systems refuses to post and I end up reverting to this version. It might be due to my jails as I do not see anything else which could be blocking the update.

I have now created a RAIDZ2 box, where I would like to transfer all my volumes, however I'm not able to make the two boxes transfer files between them.
What would you advise me, should I take the latest version of FreeNAS, install it to a USB and try to boot my old box with it and import the volumes or is there a way where I can just make the two boxes speak to each other.

The data in this box is very important to me, therefore if someone could advise a way to transfer it safely and quickly to the new box, I would greatly appreciate it.

Johev

Contributor
I was thinking, if I take the hard drives from the old system and plug them into the new one would that work? Is ZFS from version 9.3 compatible with version 11 or 12?

Should I be worried about the degraded state when just copying the data from one vdev do another? Is that as hard on the hard drives as resilvering a degraded pool?

Many thanks for your feedback.

kmac

Cadet
You can take the hard drives from the old and insert into the new system. You would need to "import" the pools - check the documentation on this.