Converting a HP EX485 MediaSmart Home Server to use FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony4x4

Cadet
Hi there,

I am not very hardware savvy so please excuse any stupid questions.

I have a HP EX485 MediaSmart Home Server which I have never really got any use out of (although contains a lot of media files I would not want to loose), also I have converted to Mac a few years ago and until a few versions of Os ago I was using the server primarily for Time Machine backups.

However now the server is not even plugged in and I have an urgent need for disk space. I have been looking at the Drobo solution but it is a bit out of my price range. I looked on eBay to see what I could get for my HP Server and saw I could realistically only get about $150.00. So I did a search on Google to see if I could re-purpose the server and low and behold I was directed to FreeNAS.

Has anyone loaded FreeNAS on to HP EX485 MediaSmart Home Server? If so could you give me any insight as to how to go about doing it?

I am willing to pay someone who knows FreeNAS VERY well and is willing to walk me through it via emails / chat.

I have about 3 TB available and would like to use FreeNAS to store photographs and to use as a backup device for Time Machine.

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I wouldn't expect a response on that offer. Too many issues have happened in the past.

FreeNAS is really a "if you want it done you gotta do it yourself or buy an ixsystems preconfigured machine".

Status
Not open for further replies.