Constant disk activity despite turning everything off

RandomLegend

Dabbler
Hello Community!

i have a Fujitsu Primergy Server that currently has 2x2TB disks in mirror in it and one 128GB SSD as bootdrive and system-dataset.

Those two 2TB HDD are constantly writing ~1MB/s as of lately. They didn't do that before. I recently installed 2x8TB disks but found out that one of them was broken while burning them in. I then took both out and since that incident my 2x2TB are constantly doing stuff.

I disabled all shares (SMB & iSCSi), i turned off the virtual machine that uses them, i turned off all jails that are running on them. The system dataset is on the seperate SSD.

The drives are not very new and don't have any acustic management so that is turned off aswell.
1679388507826.png

The "Read" spike was when i turned on my nextcloud jail again.

___

Disk one:
1679388537826.png

Disk two:
1679388559684.png

___

I have no idea what could be going on and it's super annoying. I am sorry but i don't exactly know what kind of logs you guys could need to help me out.

RandomLegend

Dabbler
Oh and this is the result of zpool status -v
1679390217181.png

So as far as i can tell there is no scrub/resilver running right now. Right?

Another member had this exact problem about a month ago. Using Search should pull up the discussion.
---
Search: Constant disk activity
+Titles Only

RandomLegend

Dabbler
I used the search and found only discussions where peoepl had their system datasets on the affected pools.

I couldn't find anything where that was not the case like it is here for me.

psarrism

Cadet
Hi. After a lot of reading and testing, I managed to spin down my 2 hard disks by doing the following:
1) I moved the dataset to system pool.
2) I moved applications to a different pool (I had to add a small SSD to the system for that, that didn't actually add Watts and made the system quiter).
3) I stopped Deluge (pausing the torrents from downloading/uploading was not enough, Deluge was still writing on disks a few Kb every 2-3 minutes).
4) I set the inactivity time to 1 hour and went to sleep (I have also tried 5 minutes for testing reasons, but it didn't work). The next morning the disks were sleeping and the total Watts were down to 30 (from 37-38). So, having the disks sleeping during the night (or while I am at work) is great for me.

My system (old pc):
AMD 3400g with original cooler (considering replacing it with 240ge)
Gigabyte B450-DS3H
Samsung Evo Plus 250GB NVMe M.2
2x WD RED 4TB hard disks (EFRX models with CMR, thankfully)
Samsung 870 Evo Plus 250GB 2.5'' SSD
Be Quiet Pure Wings 2 92mm fan (back)
Old Corsair 120mm fan (front)