connect to SMB share away from home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winefield

Cadet
Hi,

As many others (hopefully), I have issues with connecting to an SMB share away from home...

I had it working at one point for me and two of my friends, but... Then we started being unable to connect other users.
*Cutting to the end just for a second here*
After all the troubleshooting that my skills can provide, I have found that it could be an issue with internet providers, Windows itself, or something completely different..
*back to real-time information*
I have an HP Proliant Microserver Gen8 standing in Denmark at my dads place, running 300/300 on a static IP address. Nighthawk R7000 router. Port forwards with my NAS device on the standard ports for SMB.

I moved to sweden back in february and had it working from there, since I had been connected previously with my PC. I guess at least?
I had some issues in the beginning with some restrictions on the network from the provider, this got fixed after a relay or something like that, got replaced with something much newer.
- It then worked fine for me.
I wanted to share my NAS folder to a couple of friends to help them keep track of their things and such, sharing movies, music, etc..

I have run out of ideas of what to do to get this working.. I need some expert help. :-(

I have started over completely (without re-installing the device) as good as I can away from the actual device.
- I can access it over the GUI in a browser no issues. Even with my A-record address that I have created because I always forget the WAN IP the device has.

As I am writing this at 3am, I'm tired and have given up a looong time ago.. If you need any information, or have any questions to be able to help me - Ask, and I will provide you with the information as I cannot think of what other information should be provided straight away.. :/

I really need some help...

Best regards
Winefield

m0nkey_

MVP
The best way to access your data remotely is to set-up a VPN, such as OpenVPN. There are plenty of tutorials on the forum.

Winefield

Cadet
@m0nkey_ Thank you for your input! :smile:

Sadly this option would not work for me... As I share with multiple persons, they would all have to have the VPN information... I know it will work without a VPN, and I'm sure I am doing something wrong somewhere... I just dont know where :-(

Would it be easier with a domain set up? - If so, how do I do that the best way?
I have looked at all of the guides FreeNAS have, sadly these do not work for me. Might just be me not understanding it correctly?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think what you're looking for is the nextcloud plugin... you should never expose SMB directly to the internet due to the high number of potential vulnerabilities.

garm

Wizard
First of all, what ever the issue is you have an even bigger issue. You have weak security and you are broadcasting your existence. You need to re-evaluate your entire approach to this. Nextcloud is one option, even if it isn’t a fire-n-forget solution either. If you “need” to stick too smb, start with implementing certificate based authentication. OpenVPN is a good recommendation.

Winefield

Cadet
@sretalla I totally agree with you the possibilities of intruders by exposing the SMB to the internet. It's in general quite stupid.. But I had it setup like so, that 2 tries is all that is allowed for..... 30 minutes? I believe. Can't remember..

I tried the Nextcloud thing, but it seemed that I was unable to set it up. Why? Never really figured that out... :(

In the mean time I accidently changed the interface config, and now I can't access it. Trying to guide my totally IT killing dad to reset the interface :P
That's a challenge in itself :D

I will take a look at nextcloud whenever I get it up and running again, and I will post what happens.

I appreciate all of you taking your time to help me. Means a lot! :smile:

Winefield

Cadet
@garm

I tried with OpenVPN for a while, though through my Router so that I could connect to the network and have it working like so - This worked fine for me, but sadly not for my friends. We never got that working.
I also tried setting up the VPN thing in FreeNAS - Can't remember, is that also OpenVPN?

certificate based authentication sounds tricky, but if anything, I'm willing to give it a try :-D

Winefield

Cadet
I got it up and running again!! Wuh! Only took 2 hours with my dad on the phone.

Regarding Nextcloud... I have no clue what I'm doing wrong, except that there are no added storage to the "jail"? for Nextcloud. This I can't really get working either...

From here on, I will be able to try out your suggestions - But I would appreciate short guides, if that isn't too much to ask for.. :)

Once again, thanks for the inputs so far.

kdragon75

Wizard
Port forwards with my NAS device on the standard ports for SMB.
This will get you HACKED. not to mention many ISPs filter these ports for this exact reason. To many people connecting computers directly to modems and getting hacked and used as part of a botnet.
You need to use a VPN tunnel!

sretalla