Connect NAS to router as well as my pc in the same time

Lazzie1990

Cadet
Hi guys,
Iam new to freenas so looking forward to find some help here.
Currently i have a freenas server setup from an older pc. I brought 2x intel x540 10gig NIC.
1 for the main rig 1 for the NAS. The network card has 2 connection. Here is how phisically they are connected at the moment:
Freenas server 1 cable to the route 1 cable to the main rig
Main rig 1 cable to the route 1 cable to the freenas server
What iam tryin to achive that both be connected to the internet via the router with 1 gig connection as my router can only do 1 gig.
And to echother 10gig connectuin so file transfer would be fast. Seems to be eveyrthing setup i oinged bot connection on my pc and it worked seems to be connected. On freenas gui set up as well but for somereason when i copy files from my pc to the server it goes trough the router via 1gig connection. How could i set it up that the 10 gig would be only used as connection between them but bot stays connected to the router in the same time. Thx.

You would have to enable routing in FreeNAS to do what you suggest, and that wouldn't really be a good idea. FreeNAS can have multiple NIC's, so that would probably be a better bet. It would mean that your PC would need two NIC's as well. One 10G storage network on a different IP network with static IP's and no gateway. The other network (static or dynamic) would be the one that connects to your router.

Lazzie1990

Cadet
I understand, my mobo has a 1gig connection on the NAS. Would that work if i connect that to the rputer and the NIC to my main rig?

If you have two connections (1 storage/FreeNAS and 1 general purpose), that should work if you assign different IP networks to each connection. You would have to reference the FreeNAS by the storage IP to use that connection.

Lazzie1990

Cadet
Ok so Nas side ill use the mobo lan for router and NIC to connect to main rig. But on my main rig i can also only ise the NIC to connect to my nas? And i woul have to use a 2nd NIC or wifi to connect to the router as on my main mobo lan is dead. Is that what you saying? Or the main rig side i can use the NIC for both connecting to NAS as well as router?

If you have a separate IP network for the storage side then you would need to change some routing in your router as well as FreeNAS. If you aren't a routing person, that is probably more than you want to try. I would say use some other NIC to connect to the router.

Lazzie1990

Cadet
The main reason i started this project as iam starting to study for Cisco ccna and i thought it would be a good practice before i begin. So ill do the way you suggest it for now and will revisit it once iam a little bit more familiar with the routing part. Thx for the help.

Lazzie1990

Cadet
One last question if i bound ip to certain processes would ill be able to do it that way? I know i manage to do that with 2 separate internet connection to my pc. 1 was bound to browser operation the other one was for games. I dont know if the premise would work with storage in this case.

The internet connection would have a default gateway, and the storage network would not. That is IMHO a huge mistake in the way windows presents networking. Default gateway is a system level parameter, NOT an interface level parameter.

Lazzie1990

Cadet
If you have two connections (1 storage/FreeNAS and 1 general purpose), that should work if you assign different IP networks to each connection. You would have to reference the FreeNAS by the storage IP to use that connection.
I sorted it, it wasnt that hard actually. All i did is i changed the ip from 192.168.1....to 192.168.2... on those ports that connect the nas and the pc. Left the other port automatic. Both is connected to the internet and if i copy something it goes trough the other port. I just remapped the drive in windows with the new ip. Done

Lazzie1990

Cadet
10gig file transfer and also stable internet connection in the same time. No additional hardware needed to be purchased.