Directly connect FreeNAS to PC (no router or switch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys
new to the forum and also new to FreeNAS.
I know most people configure their NAS to be used with their router so they can use it on all computers on their home network, I'm currently just wanting to use it via a crossover cable with my windows 7 PC. Just wanted to learn how to use FreeNAS and so I can apply it elsewhere.
I was wondering if someone could point me to a tutorial, or give me any suggestions on how to set it up so it can work via crossover cable.
Thanks,

~Dylan.

gpsguy

Re: Local freeNAS?

Normally, when you install it, it will get an initial IP address via DHCP (from a home router or DHCP server). Look at Example 2.5a - http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Initial_Setup to configure a static IP address (you'd want one anyway) on your network.

joeschmuck

Old Man

Typically a Gigabit NIC will automatically configure for a straight or crossover cable, no special changes are needed. 100MB NICs don't typically do this so you would need a true crossover cable. With the exception that gpsguy mentioned above, there is no special setup needed, just the normal setup per the user guide.

I got it going by using basic networking principles which I completely over looked last night being tired, and also my NIC on my main rig had no drivers installed which I didn't realize until about a hour in to the project.
I just set static IPs for box the NAS box and my rig over lan, then made sure that they were both in the same subnet.
I'm going to buy myself a switch, it was a fun experience setting this up.

~Dylan.

Status
Not open for further replies.