Confused about that LSI card? Join the crowd ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusan

Guru
People seem to be having success with versions newer then P14, but I haven't gone and looked to see what version of the driver was used to build 9.2 and the release notes are silent on the topic.
FreeNAS 9.2.0: #define MPS_DRIVER_VERSION "14.00.00.02-fbsd"

pbucher

Contributor
Yes P14 is the driver version for 9.2(you can also find via (you can find it via the shell with "dmesg | grep mps" and look for the link that mentions driver & firmware versions.

It is generally a good idea to keep the firmware & driver in sync, especially never use firmware older than the driver. Your mileage my vary when using firmware newer then P14.

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
Z300m,

Where did you get the p16 update?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
From the LSI website. It's under the downloads section.

Z300M

Guru
Z300m,

Where did you get the p16 update?
Code:
http://www.lsi.com/support/Pages/download-results.aspx?component=Storage+Component&productfamily=Host+Bus+Adapters&productcode=P00049&assettype=Firmware&productname=LSI+SAS+9211-8i

Click the Archive link for P16 and earlier.

elementalwindx

Dabbler
Has anyone had any luck with the 9207-8i? I have had none. Once you put a heavy load on it (Like with my 6 256GB Samsung 840 Pros) it just goes to crap and starts throwing out junk like this: http://pastebin.com/HGmHKrRD and then crashes the entire server. I have the newest firmware/bios update that lsi released. I've put it in IT mode as well and I am using it in a ZFS setup

pbucher

Contributor
Has anyone had any luck with the 9207-8i? I have had none. Once you put a heavy load on it (Like with my 6 256GB Samsung 840 Pros) it just goes to crap and starts throwing out junk like this: http://pastebin.com/HGmHKrRD and then crashes the entire server. I have the newest firmware/bios update that lsi released. I've put it in IT mode as well and I am using it in a ZFS setup

I've got that card running here without issue using the P14 firmware and I've hit it pretty hard, I clocked 1GBs off my array of RAID2Z arrays last week doing some validation tests of 2014 setup. If you want to run the newest firmware them I'd advise loading the FreeBSD driver that matches it, though I fear you will probably have to compile it since there have been some API breaking changes in 9.2. I've had to compile 2 of my drivers for 9.2, but for LSI I've stuck with the P14 firmware and the built-in driver.

elementalwindx

Dabbler
Where can I find this P14? All I see is P17, 16, and 15.

*edit* Looks like you can only go p15 in the bios but you can go lower in the firmware.

What is the bios in relation to the firmware when used with freenas?

*edit again*

Got this lovely error :/

Executing Operation: Flash Firmware Image

Firmware Image has a Valid Checksum.

Firmware Image compatible with Controller.

Valid NVDATA Image found.

NVDATA Device ID and Chip Revision match verified.
ERROR: Cannot downgrade NVDATA version 0x11000005 to 0xe030001.

Firmware Image Validation Failed!

Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to Process Commands.
Exiting SAS2Flash.

pbucher

Contributor
Try following the erase & flash procedure listed here. Making sure not to reboot once the firmware has been erased.

Here is the LSI page that has the P14 firmware(look under the archived tab). I usually grab the Windows firmware package(because it has both the firmware & bios) and copy the bios & IT firmware out to where I have the sas2flash app located.

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
rfs,

that is a mighty fine card!! I have two of the same thing but no cables from a different chinese vendor via fleabag for about under 58% less of what this one is asking. same thing! flash it and it works like the real deal. good luck.

rfs830

Cadet
thats good to hear. I will have to order this card soon then. looks like prices have gone up on these. As long as it works good Im happy. Been putting together a nice system based on what i have been reading here. with everything with out drives its 1k so far. sounds a bit high but its a real nice system.

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
what case are you using? I have two 8 bay u-nas from china land. I think i was under 600 dollars w/o hdd's

rfs830

Cadet
Here is the set up im looking at right now
Fractal Design Define R4
SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O LGA 1155
SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz
2 x Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
IBM 1015 HBA card

The case is able to take 8 3.5 drives. I put this together with all the suggestions on this site but if you have any recommendations please let me know.
I have been looking at the new Atom server chips but just waiting to get more reviews one them. I like the 8 core due to the power usable.

Richman

Patron
rfs,

that is a mighty fine card!! I have two of the same thing but no cables from a different chinese vendor via fleabag for about under 58% less of what this one is asking. same thing! flash it and it works like the real deal. good luck.

Whats so geat about that card ..... especially if it is a knock-off and $120 when usually you can find an authentic used one for under $100

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Prices on the M1015 have varied a bit. As fewer servers with that card are coming off-lease the prices may become more similar to the LSI branded version.

Richman

Patron
Fewer servers coming off-lease meaning that they usually end their lease at the end of a Corporate fiscal year in September? Or that the economy has sent sales plummeting and lengthened lease periods?

rfs830

Cadet
Its not always September. I know we get our server when ever we need them and after 3years we send them back. That can be at any time. As for the card, I just wanted to make sure that was a good card. Not all cards from china are fake but some are. I just want one that works but right now its hard to find one with the card and the bracket for a good price and with the cables.

I will say i did look on newegg and a Brand new LSI card that will work with freenas is 230 bucks which is not a bad price for a brand new card.

Richman

Patron
HOw often do used 1015 cards fail is what I would like to know. If its like any electronic device, I am sure they could last 20 years on occasion.

rfs830

Cadet
I would like to know that also. Newegg has the LSI 9240 -8 for 260 brand new. with the build I am looking at everything on the system is brand new other then the hba card. 260 is not a bad price for a brand new card and i know its not a fake card. The LSI 9211 -8 is 225 on newegg right now also. That one will also work and is still a good price. I think both cards have the same lsi chipset but someone else can tell us for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.