Configuring storage / root for Crashplan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Hi all,

I've managed to successfully configure several plugins / jails but I'm having an odd issue specifically with Crashplan.
I'm getting this error.
The path could not be mounted /mnt/ARRAY: Mount failed (64) -> mount_nullfs: /mnt/ARRAY (/mnt/ARRAY) and /mnt/ARRAY/data/jails/crashplan_1/media are not distinct paths

Unlike my other jails / PBI's, Crashplan I figure needs to see the entire array of data (or at least a good portion of it, depending on what you want backed up) so I'm trying to mount it to the top level of the data using the storage tool /mnt/ARRAY - alas, no such luck.
I thought maybe the fault was that's too high a level and I need to be inside at least one folder / dataset?
So I tried /mnt/ARRAY/data/ which is likely where all my desired stuff to be backed up will be anyhow.
Jul 23 08:49:32 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: The path could not be mounted /mnt/ARRAY/data: Mount failed (64) -> mount_nullfs: /mnt/ARRAY/data (/mnt/ARRAY/data) and /mnt/ARRAY/data/jails/crashplan_1/media are not distinct paths ]

This is probably something very elementary here - but I'm kind of baffled, anyone know?

Yatti420

Wizard
It's the way the jail storage works.. I don't believe you can have paths like that.. Try something like mnt/array/crashplan and mnt/array/data/jails/crashplan_1/tmp.. The jail storage points arent distinct as the error message indicates..

joeschmuck

Old Man
Maybe a screen capture of the jail setup with the paths you want to use will help me understand what you are trying to do. I think Yatti420 is correct.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Apologies in advance, this will be a big post.

I can not mount at the top top level of my entire FreeNAS system.
(I got the regular "media are not distinct paths" error banner at the top of the FreeNAS console)
crashplan1_eiuyygdozu.jpg

Nor can I mount at the /mnt/ZFSVOLNAME/ZFSDATASET/ level either (who knows why?)
(I got the regular "media are not distinct paths" error banner at the top of the FreeNAS console)
crashplan2_u0gevshh5q.jpg

I CAN mount all the way down to a folder, within a dataset within the array
Finally! Just tonight, the Crashplan Jail did allow me to finally set a data folder up - but it's "too deep a path"
crashplan3_5efjar5kvo.jpg

This is the "depth" in Windows Explorer - the "files" folder is where I managed to create my "link" allowing the PBI to "breathe" out into the real file system. (that's my understanding of how it works?)
Except I'm limited / restricted to ONLY backing up a particular group of my data, located in the "files" folder, several layers deep.
crashplan4_3gb216rxvi.jpg

What if I want to backup data in another dataset? I can't backup anything outside of /data/files/ so I can't backup anything in /media/ (not that I'd want to) or /ad/ or even the folder called "i.might.want.to.backup.something.here.too"
crashplan5_n28xb5toqo.jpg

Final most important screenshot it won't let me add - so post #2 for that?

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
And finally here's the real problem, I've even somehow managed to actually get the Windows Crashplan client working on my Windows PC - talking to the FreeNAS plugin of it, as you're supposed to (easier than I thought)
Here you can clearly see my problem - I can't "browse out" into my full filesystem - due to the way the PBI / Jails work? How do I let Crashplan see the whole lot, maybe not the root level but at least I'd like to see my entire /data/ dataset.
Make sense? :(
Crashplan06_mskyj4jbu2.jpg

diskdiddler

Wizard
I think I just figured it out and it's my own fault...... (well I didn't know better)
Would I be right in thinking I should have put my jails in their own unique path and not nested them inside another location???
/mnt/ZFSVOLUME/jails/
instead of
/mnt/ZFSVOLUME/Dataset/jails/
?

tS1YXWi.jpg

I think that's what's caused the problem, right?
Is there an EASY way to move my existing jails into that new one I just created? Oh god...... :(

diskdiddler

Wizard

diskdiddler

Wizard
Ok yep, I was right, I've deleted all plugins, I've removed my jails, I've created a new dataset of it's own just for jails and now my mount points can be elsewhere.
LET THIS BE KNOWN FOR OTHERS - keep your jail store, separate from your data!
Hope others find this post (keywords for google to help people)
crashplan sickbeard sabnzb jail pbi freenas dataset mount mnt tutorial guide information help "add storage"

Hope it helps someone one day.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad you figured it out. To be honest I thought everyone used a jail dataset vice nesting it into a data dataset.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I guess I didn't follow enough guides and was guessing my way through, at least I get it now.
Other issues with Crashplan being a tool - but I'm completely convinced the crashplan dev team have deliberately coded in a bug into the package, totally sure of it - I'll see if I can figure it all out

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The jail dataset gets auto created when creating your first plugin so most people will have a separate dataset without even trying. You must have created your dataset manually.

djoole

Contributor
Arg! Got caught too...
My jail dataset is inside my main dataset. Don't remember if I created it manually or if it was placed here automatically though..

Anyway it in /mnt/zepool/jails
And I have 2 mount points in one of my jails : /mnt/zepool/data1 and /mnt/zepool/data2
As my jail as file move jobs, from data1 to data2, I've just found out these move jobs were taking ages on big files because it actually moves files between the 2 volumes instead of just updating the FAT..
So I've tried to make just 1 mount point : the whole /mnt/zepool, but as my jail is inside this dataset it doesn't allow it..

So, thank you @diskdiddler for this topic, now I know why :)
I guess I'm going to try and move my jails dataset outside of the data dataset without hopefully breaking it all!

djoole

Contributor
Sh*******t!
I'm stuck!

It seems there can be only ONE dataset in a pool, and other datasets HAVE to be inside the first one.

My dataset view is :
zepool (this is the pool)
--> zepool (this is a dataset)
----> jails (the jails dataset, i think it was automatically created)
----> sensitive (a dataset with snapshots)
----> timecapsule (a dataset i use for timemachine)

The problem is my common data is place directly on the zepool first dataset level, ex : /mnt/zepool/data1, /mnt/zepool/data2

So I can't find a solution to share these directories with a jail without having to make several mount points : one for data1, one for data2, etc....

Sh*********t!
The only solution I see would be to move all the folder in zepool dataset inside a subdataset "data"
But it break all the dependencies with other stuff (kodi, etc..)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Sh*******t!
I'm stuck!

It seems there can be only ONE dataset in a pool, and other datasets HAVE to be inside the first one.

My dataset view is :
zepool (this is the pool)
--> zepool (this is a dataset)
----> jails (the jails dataset, i think it was automatically created)
----> sensitive (a dataset with snapshots)
----> timecapsule (a dataset i use for timemachine)

The problem is my common data is place directly on the zepool first dataset level, ex : /mnt/zepool/data1, /mnt/zepool/data2

So I can't find a solution to share these directories with a jail without having to make several mount points : one for data1, one for data2, etc....

Sh*********t!
The only solution I see would be to move all the folder in zepool dataset inside a subdataset "data"
But it break all the dependencies with other stuff (kodi, etc..)
You should never share out the root of your pool. You need to make datasets and share those. This is how the wizard does it and also the best practices so you avoid the problems you are having.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

djoole

Contributor
Yep snif..
Which wizard are you talking about? I've been on Freenas since a lot of time and my pool is old, I don't recall there was any wizard to create dataset/share/pools..
Anyway harm is done, and I'm too afraid to mess up stuff by moving everything in a dataset.. I guess I'll let it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.