Computer restarts with BSOD after FreeNas 11.2 being installed on USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladimirK

Dabbler
And not even that, any computer being restarted when inserting that USB...

- Hello :)

I decided to make an update from 9.10 to 11.2, and followed these instructions.

Im used Rufus 2.18 and ONLY thing that didn't do like instructions said was (that isnt even mentioned in manual) >>> after selecting "DD image" - i couldnt see ISO file nor .TXZ ... so i changed "file type" to "ALL FILES" and selected .ISO file. When process came to i assume 70% - computer restarted and following boot was FreeNas. I removed USB, restarted PC and when it boot up in XP it says "system has been recovered from a serious error" ... I reinserted USB into computer - BSOD. Then i inserted USB into Win7 computer - BSOD. Another laptop with Win7 - BSOD. I did same procedure on another, new USB - SAME THING HAPPENED. Any ideas what is going on? This may be helpful to others...

i have .xml report in attachment in case someone is interested to look into this.

I will install FreeNas to my HP ProLiant Gen8 from DVD but i didnt expect this to be happening with USB's... i mean, when i got ProLiant first time, i installed FreeNas 9.10 in less than an hour or so without any problems...

Oh yea, ill try to insert USBs into Linux system to see what will happen and will post it here.

Strange situation. Thanks

Attachments

• report.zip
    85.3 KB · Views: 587

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
.xml? Why? What does it contain?

As for the BSoDs, that sounds squarely like a hardware issue with your USB flash drive.

VladimirK

Dabbler

As for the BSoDs, that sounds squarely like a hardware issue with your USB flash drive.

Thanks for your reply... .xml contains error log from Windonws... dont worry its not a virus or something bad :)

As for the BSOD, i formatted SD CARD with my camera and now its working. Will try to format USB in Linux system and i will post results here.

(after USB gone wrong, i tried same thing with SD CARD and card started to behave like USB drive)

Last edited:

gunnahafta

Dabbler

Nope cant be flash drive. I've been trying for 2 days to get 11.2-RC1 on to a USB drive to install. Im getting BSOD before the ISO imaging finishes. Then if i plug the USB into a booted machine BAM instant BSOD. Happens on 2 PC's and 2 different USB sticks. Not a day ago I used both USB sticks for installing widows after witting an ISO to the USB no issues.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How are you writing the ISO to the USB flash drive?

VladimirK

Dabbler
Nope can't be flash drive. I've been trying for 2 days to get 11.2-RC1 on to a USB drive to install. Im getting BSOD before the ISO imaging finishes. Then if i plug the USB into a booted machine BAM instant BSOD. Happens on 2 PC's and 2 different USB sticks. Not a day ago I used both USB sticks for installing widows after witting an ISO to the USB no issues.

Yup, same situation here. I solved problem by burning .iso on CD and done install from there. As for the USB drives, insert them into linux system and delete / format partition from Linux and will work fine.

How are you writing the ISO to the USB flash drive?

Rufus 2.18

gunnahafta

Dabbler
Was also using Rufus. I found Rufus would completely mangle the partitions on the USB. Windows disk manager wouldn't recognize them, wouldn't format the partition written by Rufus. I used UNetbootin and it worked fine. Now have an up and running FreeNAS.

gunnahafta

Dabbler
After some hard fought blood sweat and tears, and a few poundings of head against desk, i have an up and running FreeNAS with Plex, Plexconnect (bit of a struggle), all home Add blocking with Pi-Hole and qbittorent. Working quite nicely and fast. It used to be my PC's poor transcoding speed would give Plex the jitters now my physical network is letting me down loading all my stuff up onto FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.