Status
Not open for further replies.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Note: This guide uses FreeNAS 7.

/record-needle scratch noise

Before we dig any deeper into this at all; what version of FreeNAS are you running?

Also that PCworld guide terrifies me, it says "minimum of 2GB" and then tells people to use ZFS. At least the Lifehacker guide (out of date it may be) is pushing UFS.

Jerry44

Cadet
x64, downloaded this morning. When I enter the URL (168, ext) on my computer, it sees that there are two drives on the server, so it does recognize it. Keep in mind, I am not familiar with this aspect of computing. I can follow directions, if they are spelled out clearly. I started on this yesterday, and I just got the FreeNAS running today - had trouble making a boot disk to install it. Now I can boot from the flash drive.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
x64, downloaded this morning

The latest release from the download page, 9.2.1-x64?

Did you follow a specific guide, or a mix of both? Because neither of those is designed for FreeNAS 9 - one references 8.0 (but suggests horribly bad practice in using ZFS on "any old system") and the other is for 7.0 which has now become NAS4Free, a separate product.

Can you post any information on "your old Dell" - model, processor, RAM, drive count, intended use?

Jerry44

Cadet
I started with the pcmag guide, but switched to lifehacker. http://lifehacker.com/5822590/turn-...-streaming-or-torrenting-machine-with-freenas

My old Dell is a Studio XPS, Core i7, 16 GB RAM, two drives of about 850GB and 1TB. I'd like to be able to use that to access files from other computers in the house, including a Mac. I downloaded version 9.2.0, x64 of FreeNAS. Following the directions, I installed it onto a flash drive so the computer can boot from that and run FreeNAS. Would I be better off going with NAS4Free?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
i7/16GB? I'd love for that to be my "old machine."

The good news is you've got more than enough RAM to run FreeNAS, but because it's not ECC you should be running UFS for storage, not ZFS.

Since you've gotten it installed at this point, I'd suggest starting at the Quick Start Guide - you'll want to make sure to use UFS despite the guide suggesting ZFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.