Cobia not allowing FFmpeg and Node.js to be installed directly.

Etorix

Wizard
yes yes "appliance" and all that but its also just linux
TrueNAS SCALE is not "just Linux", it is a locked appliance OS based on some Linux distro. Anything you'd manage to install on the base system will be wiped by the next TN update.
If you want to install something, do it in a VM, in a container or in a "jail".

danb35

Hall of Famer
TrueNAS SCALE is not "just Linux",
If OP didn't listen the first eight times this was said here, nothing's going to change now.

katbyte

Dabbler
Did you try apt-get install libgl1 or apt-get install ffmpeg libsm6 libxext6?

Another solution might be apt-get install python3-opencv.
yep, tried all those and the shared lib is still missing.

TrueNAS SCALE is not "just Linux", it is a locked appliance OS based on some Linux distro. Anything you'd manage to install on the base system will be wiped by the next TN update.
If you want to install something, do it in a VM, in a container or in a "jail".
its still just linux locked appliance or not. As I said ix does not include everything I/others want or need and some of it is out of date. Expecting them to add every little thing people need is just silly and won't scale at all (nor will it cover all use cases).

I am aware it will be wiped next update and that is fine. It's easy enough just to apt-get/reinstall what's needed again such as a more recent stocli that can efficiently get just the controller temperature.

Davvo

MVP
The point of an appliance is the user not being able to install whatever they want. This can be for a few reasons, and in iX's case I believe it's for safety and stability (not to be confused with Apple's safety and stability... talking about real ones here).
In your case I would suggest, as others have wrote, to spin up a VM or a Linux Jail/Sandbox. That's the quickest solution for you to have your work done; if you absolutely want to have said library included in the base OS, open a suggestion in the bug reporting platform.

katbyte

Dabbler
Not everyone wants an appliance. The quickest solution was as mentioned upthread just copying the library over from debian and not mucking about with getting jails or containers.

Davvo

MVP
Not everyone wants an appliance.
Well, that's what TrueNAS is. Might not be the product you need :smile:
I'm glad you found a way to make it work for you.

katbyte

Dabbler
well appliance stance aside it is the best NAS software for a homelab/SMB I've worked with to date - I understand why they don't want the support burden & how easy it makes upgrades but with the addition of the install-dev-tools cmd it's not really an issue as both the people who want it as an appliance and those who don't can make use of it in the way they need.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
well appliance stance aside it is the best NAS software for a homelab/SMB I've worked with to date - I understand why they don't want the support burden & how easy it makes upgrades but with the addition of the install-dev-tools cmd it's not really an issue as both the people who want it as an appliance and those who don't can make use of it in the way they need.
If you confirm the steps you took to resolve, or provide the link, it will help others resolve similar issues.