Cloudsync option missing under tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garyw

Dabbler
I've upgraded FreeNAS 9 to 11 and one of the things I was keen to try was the sync to S3. I've setup a bucket at S3, added in the AWS key and secret key and that's all gone fine.
From reading the FreeNAS 11.1 beta1.pdf file (http://freenas.2trux.com/FreeNAS_11.1_beta1.pdf), page 86, there should be a "Cloud sync" option under scheduled tasks.

I'm also missing the "Add cloud credentials" option under System.

Is the documentation wrong or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks.

Garyw

Dabbler
It looks like this option is completely absent from 11.0 but is in the 11.1 BETA. That makes the S3 service in 11.0 kinda useless.

styno

Patron
That makes the S3 service in 11.0 kinda useless.
Not at all, the S3 service is there to transform your FreeNAS into an S3 compatible server. What you are looking for is an S3 compatible client. This will be available in 11.1.

Garyw

Dabbler
S3 compatible how? I turned on the service, added the secret key and access key which were accepted then nothing. The browser just hung on "loading".

styno

Patron
What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the S3 Service in FreeNAS? How are you sending data to it?

Garyw

Dabbler
What I'm looking at is using FreeNAS to hold some MS SQL backups and then get those files into S3. The idea is to have, say 10 copies on site for quick restores and 20, 30, more out at S3 for long term, offsite archive.

danb35

Hall of Famer
What I'm looking at is using FreeNAS to hold some MS SQL backups and then get those files into S3.
That's not at all what the S3 service in FN11 is designed to accomplish. As @styno said, that service turns your FreeNAS box into an S3-compatible server, not an S3 client. Useless for you perhaps, but valuable for others.

Garyw

Dabbler
S3 compatible how? Even entering all the Access keys for S3, it doesn't do anything.

styno

Patron
I am not even sure how to answer to this anymore. As you already indicated, the option is in 11.1 and the docs are spot on.

Garyw

Dabbler
ok - what is the S3 option for in FreeNAS 11.0? Any documentation that covers it? If I've misunderstood what it is for and what it's purpose is in 11.0 then I'd like to understand what it's actually there for.

The documentation at http://doc.freenas.org/11/freenas.html doesn't even mention S3.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The documentation at http://doc.freenas.org/11/freenas.html doesn't even mention S3.
It doesn't? What's this, then?

Edit: And that tells you what @styno and I have been trying to tell you: that the S3 service allows your FreeNAS box to act as an S3 server. Other systems with S3 clients can connect to your FreeNAS box and use the S3 client to put data onto your FreeNAS box.

Garyw

Dabbler
Thanks - the search functionality didn't find anything titled S3.

Now I get it, sorry I misunderstood that aspect before. What's confused me here is that if it's acting as a SERVER why does it need an access key as it's not actually talking to S3 itself but rather proxying the S3 protocol to receive data from S3 clients. The Access key and secret key are for talking to S3 itself.

danb35

Hall of Famer
According to the docs I linked above, the "access key" is the username you'd use on the client computers. The "secret key" is the password. Seems very awkwardly phrased to me, but they didn't ask me.

Garyw

Dabbler
Got it, Thanks DanB35, that is awkwardly phrased! It makes sense now.

Status
Not open for further replies.