Cloud Sync BackBlaze

Rickinfl

Contributor
Hi,

How in the world can you stop a cloud sync? OR limit the bandwidth? I'm backing up to BackBlaze and it's killing my internet. Wish I could set it up to backup between the hours of.

Thanks

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You should file a feature request through the ticketing system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Or you could just have pfSense as your firewall and throttle it (using schedules and/or limits).

diskdiddler

Wizard
There's a very old job on the redmine tracker for throttling the speed and or allowing scheduling.

As it stands, this hasn't been put in place, but I'm with you. As an Aussie, I need FreeNAS to use no more than 33KB/s upload (yes, I know ,....) that's 1/3 of my upload speed.
At least most of us have unlimited internet now.

I have the same problem, the best part is that the rclone process has a —bwlimit parameter but it’s not exposed to GUI, any idea where the GUI setting for cloud sync is saved on disk so that we can add the bw limit manually?

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have the same problem, the best part is that the rclone process has a —bwlimit parameter but it’s not exposed to GUI, any idea where the GUI setting for cloud sync is saved on disk so that we can add the bow limit manually?
If you did change it manually, it would be reset when you reboot. Settings need to go through the GUI so they are recorded in the configuration database.
File a feature request / bug report.

diskdiddler

Wizard
It's already been requested and a job logged, it's quite old too.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Actually that job you linked is a good sign - it looks like one of the devs asking some of the UI devs to impliment the request.
I know the bug / request is so old, it starts with 2, not 4

EDIT:

Here it is, they must be nearly done, a good sign.
https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/27525

diskdiddler

Wizard
We shall see, can only ask.

danb35

Hall of Famer
upload_2018-9-4_20-43-49.png

Ok found a temporary workaround, create a rclone config file:
Code:
[remote]
type = b2
env_auth = false
account = <your B2 app id>
key = <your B2 app key>
endpoint =

then run the rclone command:

/usr/local/bin/rclone --config <path to rclone config> --bwlimit <some limit in kB/s> -v --stats 1s sync <path to source> remote:<name of the B2 bucket>/<folder inside B2 bucket>

the -v and --stats 1s prints progress every second so remove it if you don't need it or pipe it to a log file

f.e. in my case i tried:

/usr/local/bin/rclone --config /root/rclone --bwlimit 100 -v --stats 1s sync /mnt/NAS/Photography remote:freenas-cloud-backup/Photography

Now this can be moved to a cron job and voila, we have a working solution until 11.3 hits

diskdiddler

Wizard
I think in the meantime i'll poke around and will try setting up a cron job that does the same but uses the bwlimit option. If i get anything useful i'll post here
I believe someone else has done that, at some point, I saw it posted somewhere, so it can be done.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just to clarify: The forums' Feature Requests section is archived and definitely not the right place to start any new threads.

The requests themselves need to be submitted to the bug tracker: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/projects/freenas

If you want to discuss feature requests, please do so in the Development section of the forum.

Just to clarify: The forums' Feature Requests section is archived and definitely not the right place to start any new threads.

The requests themselves need to be submitted to the bug tracker: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/projects/freenas

If you want to discuss feature requests, please do so in the Development section of the forum.
Thanks, i think that's clear by now; both I and another person on this thread referenced the redmine tickets with the feature requests we were discussing.

diskdiddler

Wizard