Clonezilla for new system drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonny81

Contributor
Hey everyone,

I've been running my backup NAS (handles RSYNC) on a regular HDD. The drive is getting older, and I'd like to avoid any issues.

I can't boot from USB on this mobo. Tried just about everything, and I'm just going to spend $50 on a small solid state drive to run Freenas.

Clonezilla has worked well for me in the past w/ Windows & Linus OS systems, but I don't know if this could work with Freenas (don't know where the config files are saved to, etc.).

Basically, if I cloned by existing HDD to my new SSD, would it contain all of my configuration info, etc? I do have my config files backed up, but a test run on this a couple years ago failed to work (it worked fine on my newer NAS though :/ ).

Thoughts?

D

dlavigne

It should. Never hurts to also have a backup of the config file.

gpsguy

Don't clone your FreeNAS boot drive. From the webGUI save (download) your configuration file.

Do a fresh install on FreeNAS on your SSD and then restore your configuration file using the webGUI.

On your boot device the file is located here: /data/FreeNAS-v1.db

The filename should be lowercase - my phone changed what I typed.

Sent from my phone

sonny81

Contributor
Don't clone your FreeNAS boot drive. From the webGUI save (download) your configuration file.

Do a fresh install on FreeNAS on your SSD and then restore your configuration file using the webGUI.

On your boot device the file is located here: /data/FreeNAS-v1.db

The filename should be lowercase - my phone changed what I typed.

Sent from my phone

Thank you, I'll do that. Appreciate the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.