CIFS wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameronb

Cadet
Hi,

I have just built myself a new system and CIFS wont start. Ive tried reinstalling FreeNAS several times and nothing seems to fix it.

I have also tried: testparm /usr/local/etc/smb.conf and the file does not exist.

My specs are:

ASUS C60M1-I
AMD C60 @ 1.0Ghz Dual Core
8GB Ram
4 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Not Formatted or attached yet)

Thank you

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you have no shares setup I'm not sure if CIFS will start.

That CPU is going to be hilariously slow for FreeNAS. I have pocket calculators that are faster than that CPU.

cameronb

Cadet
Hi,

I have seen people saying that it works and I have created some volumes, CIFS occasionally starts but when I reboot the system, it stops working.

Do you have any idea why?

Thank you

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not sure what version you are using.. but I'm still on 9.2.0 for a reason.. it works.

If you are on 9.2.1 or 9.2.1.1 then things are less ideal as there seems to be more people either:

1. Not using FreeNAS properly(user error).
2. Problems with FreeNAS properly setting up and using the CIFS service.

Neither one are easy to identify in a forum setting unless there's a clear smoking gun that other users have figured out on their own. Unfortunately, many of the experienced users have deliberately chosen to stay in 9.2.0 and see what problems there are on 9.2.1 and 9.2.1.1 before upgrading.

Rand

Guru
And run <testparm /etc/local/smb4.conf>
or get the location with
>find / -name "smb*.conf">

to see what the issue is

cameronb

Cadet
Downgrading to 9.2 solved most of my problem, I still have to restart CIFS upon startup (although it wont be rebooting much).

Thank you for your support!

darkconz

Dabbler
How did you downgrade? I am in the same boat.. I also tried to find the .img.xz for 9.2.0 but the download link didn't work.. Can somebody point me to a location where I can download it so maybe I can start from scratch if downgrade doesn't work?

Downgrading to 9.2 solved most of my problem, I still have to restart CIFS upon startup (although it wont be rebooting much).

Thank you for your support!

panz

Guru
Not sure what version you are using.. but I'm still on 9.2.0 for a reason.. it works.

If you are on 9.2.1 or 9.2.1.1 then things are less ideal as there seems to be more people either:

1. Not using FreeNAS properly(user error).
2. Problems with FreeNAS properly setting up and using the CIFS service.

Neither one are easy to identify in a forum setting unless there's a clear smoking gun that other users have figured out on their own. Unfortunately, many of the experienced users have deliberately chosen to stay in 9.2.0 and see what problems there are on 9.2.1 and 9.2.1.1 before upgrading.

CIFS never worked for me in v. 9.2.1.1; now it's one week of trying and... can't start the service. Now, even if I succeed to deal with it, I'm considering this build unreliable.

AFei

Cadet
CIFS never worked for me in v. 9.2.1.1; now it's one week of trying and... can't start the service. Now, even if I succeed to deal with it, I'm considering this build unreliable.

I had the exact issue that /usr/local/etc/smb.conf is missing which prevent CIFS from starting. I tried to change the ACL type from Unix to Windows, and still didn't work.

This is a fresh FreeNAS 9.2.1.2 installation, and the smb.conf just doesn't exist out of box.

How did you get the problem fixed?

panz

Guru
After a fresh install of FreeNAS-9.2.1.2-RELEASE-x64 (002022c) CIFS is now running well (and fast...).

Another unsolved bug is that – after dataset creation – I can't switch the share type (UNIX / Windows); the drop down menu doesn't allow further changes... :(

AFei

Cadet
I just downloaded and installed the 64bit FreeNAS 1 day ago, and still has no /usr/local/etc/smb.conf on the usb drive. I used the ISO file although, and would try the img file again. Do you mind paste the content of the smb.conf here? I may create my own copy of file?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
smb.conf is auto-generated by FreeNAS. you can't just create your own copy of the file.

panz

Guru
I just downloaded and installed the 64bit FreeNAS 1 day ago, and still has no /usr/local/etc/smb.conf on the usb drive. I used the ISO file although, and would try the img file again. Do you mind paste the content of the smb.conf here? I may create my own copy of file?

You don't need to create anything :) Now the SMB works flawlessly.

AFei

Cadet
smb.conf is auto-generated by FreeNAS. you can't just create your own copy of the file.
hmmm, seemed that the auto-generation didn't work to me. I did follow the guide to share the disk, and tried to start the service. However, never succeeded, and never found the conf on the USB drive. How could this happen?

esamett

Patron
just had this problem 9.2.1.6
I was multitasking: rsync via cli, other stuff via web interface. then I lost freenas to my PC. CIFS service couldn't restart. Reboot didn't resolve so I installed 9.2.1.7. Same problem, unable to start CIFS. Trying older configs.

Status
Not open for further replies.