CIFS slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWfarmer

Cadet
Just brought my new FreeNAS setup online.

ASUS C60M1-I motherboard
AMD 1.0Ghz dual-core
8GB RAM
2 3TB Seagate Barracuda on SATA 6.0

I have it setup for ZFS mirror and sharing using CIFS.

My issue is I am only getting 2.0Mb/s transfer speed trying to put files on it. Can anybody help me out?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I can help you out. Get a faster CPU. Just as the manual says Samba is single threaded. So CPU frequency matters more than number of cores. Even the "top of the line" Atoms running at 2Ghz or so only hit about 30MB/sec. I'm not sure how fast you should expect with that CPU. I'm not a fan of AMD.

Stephens

Patron
My AMD E-350 does 75MB/s easily, and I could make it do 100MB/s optimizing and/or overclocking if I cared (I don't). There's nothing wrong with using AMD CPU's with FreeNAS, not even the APU's. 2MB/s (not 2Mb/s) is NOT the expected speed for a C60M1-I and there are other threads here showcasing that. Something else is wrong.

KWfarmer, google "FreeNAS iperf" and learn how to do an iperf test so you can see if you have networking issues or zpool issues. You might also want to learn how to use "dd" to do pool speed tests. If you have more specific questions after performing those tests, you can come back and ask them. There are plenty of people here who've used the C60M1-I, and while it's no barn burner, it'll do much better than you're getting.

KWfarmer

Cadet
My AMD E-350 does 75MB/s easily, and I could make it do 100MB/s optimizing and/or overclocking if I cared (I don't). There's nothing wrong with using AMD CPU's with FreeNAS, not even the APU's. 2MB/s (not 2Mb/s) is NOT the expected speed for a C60M1-I and there are other threads here showcasing that. Something else is wrong.

KWfarmer, google "FreeNAS iperf" and learn how to do an iperf test so you can see if you have networking issues or zpool issues. You might also want to learn how to use "dd" to do pool speed tests. If you have more specific questions after performing those tests, you can come back and ask them. There are plenty of people here who've used the C60M1-I, and while it's no barn burner, it'll do much better than you're getting.

Appreciate the info greatly. I will definitely check into those when I get it back running. Sorry about the 2Mb/s mistake. I missed that. I'm having other issues right now, I shut it down and I can't get into the BIOS on the board for some reason to set it to boot from USB. I don't even get the ASUS splash screen. Going to try some things tomorrow, who knows this board might be going back.

KWfarmer

Cadet
I did an iperf run with my FreeNAS box as the server and my laptop as the client over wireless from laptop to router, and FreeNAS is wired to router. I ran it for 30 secs and got

Transfer 68.6 MBytes and 2.29 MBytes/sec

If I do the iperf run with a transfer in progress I get

Transfer 14.0 MBytes and 0.46 MBytes/sec

With laptop wired to router AND FreeNAS wired to router I get

Transfer 319 MBytes and 10.6 MBytes/sec

If I do the iperf run with a transfer in progress I get

Transfer 67.8 MBytes and 2.26 MBytes/sec

What is this supposed to tell me? I'm guessing it's that I have a networking issue?

Is it my laptop Network card? When wired in it's showing a 100Mbps connection and using iperf it cranks up to 95% utilization according to task manager. The wireless is 54Mbps but only uses 10% utilization according to my task manager when running iperf.

The thing I did notice is when I unplugged the wired connection, it shows the Local Area Connection should be 1Gbps.

I'm running through a Linksys WRT54G router running DD-WRT.

After more research I have come to the conclusion it is my router. I found this post on a forum.

"Even though wireless g has a "connection" speed of 54 Mbps, the actual maximum data transfer rate is about 25 Mbps under ideal lab conditions (read: not in your home). 27 Mbps (27 megabits per second) = about 3 MB/s (3 megabytes per second).
At 2 MB/s, you are achieving about 67% of the maximum under ideal lab conditions. This is about as good as most home users can get. To get faster speeds, do data transfers "wired computer" to "wired computer", which should reach about 7 to 9 MB/s."

Am I correct on it being my router?

praecorloth

Contributor
That is a strong possibility. If FreeNAS is not using DHCP to get its IP address, set a static IP on your laptop and go NIC to NIC from FreeNAS to your laptop. See what kind of speeds you get.

Also, if you haven't tried it, reboot your router and see if that helps any.

Status
Not open for further replies.