CIFS shares, NFS mounts with AD authentication in a mixed WIN/CentOS environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Scott

Cadet
I've built anew 9.2.1.7 system on a fair sized Supermicro system: 255TB disks, 265GB ram, 32 proc.

I'm used to CentOS, which I've used for previous fileserver boxes.

Let's say I shaved off a /home dataset out of a pool

I *really* would like to be able to have my CentOS NFS clients mount /home and also have my Windows machines map the same /home directory, since my customers use both platforms equally. As such everyone would be happier if they could shop for their own files in one place. I've been beating on the FreeNas for a few weeks and have read quite a bit, but I can't find a solution to combine both scenarios.

Also, I use my Windows domain controllers' AD to provide authentication to both my Windows and CentOS machines.

I've done this successfully on my current CentOS server, and it is getting the job done. I just picked up some new hardware and wanted to try something without all the overhead of CentOS

Q: Is it possible for FreeNas 9.2.1.7 to have NFS and CIFS shares that point to the same endpoint?

If so, a pointer or two, if you please!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I've built anew 9.2.1.7 system on a fair sized Supermicro system: 255TB disks, 265GB ram, 32 proc.
Q: Is it possible for FreeNas 9.2.1.7 to have NFS and CIFS shares that point to the same endpoint?

If so, a pointer or two, if you please!
When you set ACL type to Windows/Mac you lose the ability to chmod. I think that CIFS and NFS handle oplocks in different ways. If you have users trying to access same dataset with both protocols it might be like trying to make cats and dogs have babies. It won't end well.
You might be able to write a script to let end users decide whether to have their directory shared via CIFS or NFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.