CIFS Share on UFS Volume - Windows ACL Ignored

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor

Cadet
There is an existing forum thread titled CIFS error "Unable to save permission changes on folder , the parameter is incorrect". That is the basis of an issue I am having. I wish the existing thread could be resolved, but I am unable to find a resolution if one exists. So I have attempted to work around the issue:

This is a fresh install using UFS volumes after [sadly] discovering that ZFS is not going to work with the current hardware configuration, and the system is configured to use Windows Active Directory:
FreeNAS-9.2.1.2-RELEASE-x86 (ce022f0)
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 1.80GHz
Memory 3883MB

I created a new UFS volume but could find no way via the UI to create folders/sub-folders on the volume. Using the shell I created a folder on the volume: /mnt/volume/cifs/folder. Still in the shell I changed the user:group of the new folder using chown to 'AD-Domain\Administrator':'AD-Domain\Domain Admins'. Using the FreeNAS UI I created a cifs share and from a Windows machine successfully attached to the share using MMC applet - 'Shared Folders' snap-in. When I view the permissions ACL I see the following:
Everyone
AD-Domain\Administrator
AD-Domain\Domain Admins

So far so good...

When I attempt to change the permissions ACL via the Windows MMC applet, I get the error ...'the parameter is incorrect'. Since a resolution to this error could not be found I went back to the shell and after verifying /etc/fstab 'nfsv4acls', I successfully executed the following for /mnt/volume/cifs/folder:
setfacl -x everyone@... to remove the 'Everyone' group
setfacl -m "AD-Domain\NAS Read Only Group" ... with the appropriate read only flags set
setfacl -m "AD-Domain\NAS Read Write Group" ... with the appropriate read write flags set

Execute getfacl for /mnt/volume/cifs/folder and I get returned the expected ACL - perfect!

However, when I view the ACL in the Windows MMC applet - 'Shared Folders' snap-in, the original ACL is still displayed, the new ACL created using setfacl is basically ignored. Reboot after reboot, the ACL according to getfacl in the shell is exactly what I want it to be, but the ACL as displayed in the Windows MMC applet continues to remain:
Everyone
AD-Domain\Administrator
AD-Domain\Domain Admins

If I chown root:wheel /mnt/volume/cifs/folder, the Windows MMC applet will then show root and wheel in the ACL list; none of the setfacl ACL entries are ever recognized. Actual access is consistent with what Windows is showing me.

Please help,

Thanks.

CIFS Share on UFS Volume - Windows ACL Changes Ignored

Raptor

Cadet
Unable to find a solution to "Unable to save permission changes on folder , the parameter is incorrect", and unable to figure out why Windows ignores any additional groups or users added to the ACL via setfacl. Only thing that makes sense is FreeNAS has left UFS for dead. Windows does kind of half-baked see ACL changes to the user:group as set by chown, but using nfsv4acls I would have thought those ACLs would be more accurate than they turn out to be. I have even switched between the disk volume tunefs enable 'NFSv4 ACLs' and 'POSIX.1e ACLs' + mount with 'nfsv4acls' and 'acls' respectively with some interesting differences between them; so it would seem to me that ACLs on UFS are somewhat supported but not entirely.

I [sometimes regrettably] live in the Windows world, so I cannot claim a high degree of proficiency with FreeBSD/FreeNAS; but I would have thought that the amount of time spent searching for answers for this would have yielded some better results by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.