Cifs share not working after HDD change

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcebuxyz

Cadet
Hi,

So, I'm trying to setup a FREENAS device to be used as an archive location for our backup software. To do so, I had to configure a new windows share for the location of the backup vault. Everything was working fine until the HDD was starting to get full.

I decided it was time to change the hard drive to a new one, but upon rebooting the NAS with the new HDD installed. Somehow I've lost the cifs connectivity that I had only an hour ago. Changed the existing CIFS share path to the new HDD and when that didn't work, I deleted the share name and recreated it to point to the new HDD. But still no luck.

I've checked the permissions, and opened everything up as best I could (777) thinking that could be the problem. But to no avail.

Right now, the only clients that should be accessing this share are Windows 7 workstations, and the Acronis Backup software (running Windows server 2012)

Any assistance would be appreciated. Please note the following;

Also, in the screenshot with the HDD error, that belongs to the previous disk which I attempted to replace. So, I assume that it's displaying the error because I removed the drive from the NAS.

FreeNAS build: 9.2.1.5
2TB HDD

Attachments

• Shareperm.JPG
    Shareperm.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Volperm.JPG
    Volperm.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 227
  • cifsPerm1.JPG
    cifsPerm1.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 217
  • cifsPerm2.JPG
    cifsPerm2.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 205
  • Hdd.JPG
    Hdd.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 215

jcebuxyz

Cadet
Update: After rebooting my PC. When I try to access the share I receive the following error message by Windows.

"The file cannot be accessed by the system"

Furthermore, when I try to make any changes to CIFS. I get the following:

"Service failed to start" or "Service could not be stopped" after clicking OK.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
To clarify:
  • Your FreeNAS server had a single hard drive.
  • You pulled out the hard drive and replaced it.

The original disk contained your system dataset (which contains files necessary for samba to start) . Have you tried putting the original hard drive back in? Why can't you just use two hard drives?

jcebuxyz

Cadet
Hi anodos.

Thanks for your response. I believe you were correct, after some more trial and error, I put the original hdd back in and everything came up fine. I guess I'm still a little unfamiliar with FreeNAS but practice makes perfect!

I'm now up and running without a hitch using two hard drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.