CIFS Service Won't Start On 8.0.3-RELEASE-p1-x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobCochran

Contributor
I am having a problem with a FreeNAS box running 8.0.3-RELEASE-p1-x64. I set up CIFS shares for a friend who wanted to back up his Windows 7 computer to it. This worked just great for a very long time, then one day the friend landed in the hospital. From there, he had a long stay in a rehab facility. I brought his Windows 7 computer to his room and that helped him. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to do maintenance on his FreeNAS box.

When I moved his computer back home and connected it up to his home network, I could not get backups to run one again.

At the FreeNAS GUI, I am unable to get the "CIFS" control button to turn from red (off) to blue (on) when I click it, thus indicating the CIFS service is running. I checked /var/log/messages and saw these:

Failed to start smbd [nmbd]
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: cannot open "LiR3/so^N|"

The 'R' and '|' characters shown above are actually special characters that I don't have a keyboard character for.

My theory is that the USB flash drive may have gone bad or become unreadable or had corrupted data written to it after weeks of being kept turned on. The server was plugged into an old UPS that was also going bad, and it is possible that electrical surges could have taken a toll.

Is there a simple fix for this? My urge is to replace the USB flash drive and update to the latest FreeNAS version, then load the config file into it an go from there.

Thanks

Bob

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Looks like your usb drive is corrupted.

I would suggest to save the config, reinstall in a new one and upload config.

Status
Not open for further replies.