CIFS group permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borja Marcos

Contributor
Hello,

I guess this is a FAQ, but everything I try doesn't seem to work.

I am trying to set up a couple or CIFS shares for Windows users. The thing should be pretty trivial. The shares are used by a group, and every file written to it should have group write permissions. Unfortunately it doesn't work.

I have tried to leave the "mask" parameters (file and directory) blank in the CIFS settings. However, FreeNAS insists on setting up values for them (I think this is a bug).

Code:
[global]
    …
    create mask = 0666
    directory mask = 0777
…

and adding these parameters to the share as auxiliary parameters.

Code:
force create mode = 770
force directory mode = 770

It should work, but the files I create still have a 750 mask.

Any ideas? Sorry for asking such a stupid question, but either I've lost my ability to read or Samba applies permissions in a somewhat random fashion. (or some of the parameters are just ignored).

Thanks!

Borja Marcos

Contributor
I just found something. Disabling the "Unix Extensions" it seems that the permissions are fine now. I need to share the folder between Mac OS X and Windows users.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you are using Windows users, you should be using ACLs, which means that you shouldn't be trying to force masks and such. It will only confuse the heck out of the ACLs. ;)

Borja Marcos

Contributor
If you are using Windows users, you should be using ACLs, which means that you shouldn't be trying to force masks and such. It will only confuse the heck out of the ACLs. ;)

The problem is, the users can be kindly described as extremely unsophisticated, or, in a more formal way, canonical users. I've tried the silly approach and it seems to do.

The whole point is to have a decent storage for some shared files with periodic snapshots and a proper snapshot preservation policy. I don't even want the snapshots visible to them, but safe from them ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

The problem is, the users can be kindly described as extremely unsophisticated, or, in a more formal way, canonical users. I've tried the silly approach and it seems to do.

The whole point is to have a decent storage for some shared files with periodic snapshots and a proper snapshot preservation policy. I don't even want the snapshots visible to them, but safe from them ;)

They can't edit snapshots, so that's not a problem. You can also choose not to export any snapshot tasks (this seems to be a recent option, as the latest was automagically exported before).

Status
Not open for further replies.