SOLVED Chelsio S310E-CR 10GB card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grantp

Contributor
Hi, I have just bought some Chelsio S310E-CR 10GB network cards. I know they are old cards but just wanted to play around see what speed gains I'd get when copying large amounts of data.

The first thing I did was find some old hardware I had hanging round and built an awful, under powered, 3Gb of memory (non EEC), FreeNAS box The hard drives have all been taken out of my real FreeNAS box due to errors and such like. So I have 3 x 3TB drives in RaidZ1 and a boot drive. So as I say really not fit for purpose as a live machine but will do for messing around, if I lose data it doesn't matter.

I put a card in the FreeNAS box booted up, it found the card loaded drivers and all looked good. I place the other card in my desktop PC found the drivers and card was recognised. I have connected them directly and put them on another subnet. Gave the FreeNAS card IP of 192.168.10.3 and the card in my PC 192.168.10.1. All my other IP addresses on my network are 192.168.0.*

I tried to ping the cards and to my surprise found it worked. I them mapped a drive by stating the IP address to make sure it used that network so \\192.168.10.3\share_name it mapped OK, opened files in Explorer etc. I copied files from and to both machines and I was getting about 1.4Gbs an improvement on what I had. Memory usage went straight to 100% as I have so little and I assume that's why I wasn't getting more than 1.4Gbs.

All good so far so I took card out of crappy FreeNAS test box put it in my live machine (Specs found below) all appeared to go OK booted up, assigned a static IP (192.168.10.2) went to Windows PC ping worked but when I come to map the drive it isn't seeing it.

I've changed cables, reseated the card, changed the PCI slot, it just doesn't connect to 192.168.10.2. I am now at a total loss of what to do now, I am a complete noob at both networking and FreeNAS so any help would be appreciated.

Grantp

Contributor
Has anyone any ideas of where I can start with this. I am also able to get to the FreeNAS WebGUI by typing 192.168.10.2 into Chrome & FireFox browsers.

Mlovelace

Guru
Check the cifs settings (wrench next to the service toggle) and make sure the new subnet IP (192.168.10.*) check box is checked. Otherwise the cifs share will only be available on the original subnet.

Grantp

Contributor
Thanks Mlovelace, something so simple and I'd missed it. That worked perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.