PCIe X8 vs. X4 slot speeds for 10Gb fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
@jgreco thanks for getting back to me, I wasn't gonna do anything until I heard back from you ;)
the use of a non-stupid stacking technology is very attractive.
I like the N2024 and the cool stacking links, but (like the 5524) it's only got the two SFP+ ports :mad:
I need 3 - 10G fiber ports and if I go with the 5524/2024 I'll end up stacking two units. :(
I found the X1052 with 4 SFP+ ports, and I'm confident that it will acomplish my goal without having
to buy and make room for two units. Current end costs are close either way I go, so I'm leaning toward
waiting and saving for the brand new unit with warranty (X1052). Maybe Santa will put one in my stocking :D
@mav@
Putting this card into 4x slot will probably limit it to about 6-7Gbit/s.
Thanks for your feedback as well, you confirmed my concern about the card vs. slot speeds.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
@jgreco thanks for getting back to me, I wasn't gonna do anything until I heard back from you ;)

I like the N2024 and the cool stacking links, but (like the 5524) it's only got the two SFP+ ports :mad:
I need 3 - 10G fiber ports and if I go with the 5524/2024 I'll end up stacking two units. :(
I found the X1052 with 4 SFP+ ports, and I'm confident that it will acomplish my goal without having
to buy and make room for two units. Current end costs are close either way I go, so I'm leaning toward
waiting and saving for the brand new unit with warranty (X1052). Maybe Santa will put one in my stocking :D

Yeah, I feel your pain. There's always a lot of hand-wringing involved whenever you get into this situation where there's a limited number of higher speed uplinks and you'd actually like to use them. One of the big reasons I was so hot to standardize on the Dell 5324 (managed gig switch) a decade ago was that it'd get rid of the mishmash of Synoptics 28115's, Bay 350/450T's, and Foundry FWS24+2G's and make "everything gig." That was so nice :smile:

The problem with 10G is that the evolution of networks to 10G hasn't happened anywhere near as quickly; I've been waiting half a decade longer than expected to see reasonable gear. And even now, the "reasonable" gear is questionably so; it's still too pricey. Those of us who transitioned to 10G SFP+ early are kinda hosed because optical/SFP+ was never likely to be the winner in the end, so we're stuck with SFP+ gear (but, bonus, lower latency). When Netgear came out with their cheap 10GbaseT switch in 2013, I was kinda hoping that we'd see more stuff within a year, but here it is almost 2016 and the most exciting product out there is the ZyXEL XS3700-24 (does both 10GbaseT and SFP+). But still you have a fundamental issue with old (SFP+) vs new (copper) and what it seems like the vendors are intent on doing is just going straight to 10GbaseT for some of the new platforms (see the Xeon-D offerings from Supermicro) which is going to really tick me off.

I don't think there's any great advice to be had. But do consider:

1) Sooner or later (quite possibly later) you will prolly be wanting more than four 10G ports. If it's later, then you may want some copper 10G ports.

2) The smaller units have some benefits in that they recycle (i.e. eBay) more easily. 24 port switches are often workgroup-class aggregation switches and are suitable to home users, etc. 48 port switches can be in less demand, and so harder to sell at a good price.

3) Whatever you do is perfectly fine if you understand where this may fit into your networking strategy in two years. That could very well be "buy the Netgear XS708E, link that to the X1052, end up with three ports of 10GbE SFP+ and seven 10GbaseT usable". But my point to you is to think about this, at least a little, now, to make sure that if you buy a bigger switch, it's still going to be useful.

danb35

Hall of Famer
saving for the brand new unit with warranty (X1052)
If warranty is a concern, the 5524 I bought used off eBay came with a lifetime warranty, which I've since registered and validated with Dell. I don't know if that's universal for their switches, just that model, or if it happened to be something special with my unit, but it might be worth considering. Of course, that does nothing wrt your other reasons for preferring the X1052.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Many of the units on eBay may not qualify for warranty. Some of them are old Dell stock being blown out by places that specialize in clearance, placing lowball bids for pallets of gear, and part of the reason Dell sells them cheap is that they don't provide a warranty. It's always something to ponder.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The smaller units have some benefits in that they recycle (i.e. eBay) more easily. 24 port switches are often workgroup-class aggregation switches and are suitable to home users, etc. 48 port switches can be in less demand, and so harder to sell at a good price.
This ^^^ is really big for me (home user). The family CFO (the better half) likes the way you think!
If warranty is a concern, the 5524 I bought used off eBay came with a lifetime warranty, which I've since registered and validated with Dell. I don't know if that's universal for their switches, just that model, or if it happened to be something special with my unit, but it might be worth considering. Of course, that does nothing wrt your other reasons for preferring the X1052.
About half my hardware is used, warranty is more or less the cherry on top, not the Sundae.
I'll keep your experience in mind however, thanks!
Whatever you do is perfectly fine if you understand where this may fit into your networking strategy in two years. That could very well be "buy the Netgear XS708E, link that to the X1052, end up with three ports of 10GbE SFP+ and seven 10GbaseT usable". But my point to you is to think about this, at least a little, now, to make sure that if you buy a bigger switch, it's still going to be useful.
Taking this ^^^ into consideration (resale value of larger switch), makes me think that it would be wise
to start out with one N2024 (better resale value), stack another N2024 in six to eight weeks maybe...

Any 10GbaseT considerations are far down the road for my little home network, given the increased
power usage of copper (and the heat/fans/noise that comes with it). I think the aqua fiber is purty too ;)

I think the switches could be shelved in the left side of my network closet.
Removing the door is on my hunnydo list :)
IMG_1414.JPG

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This ^^^ is really big for me (home user). The family CFO (the better half) likes the way you think!

The incremental aspect is very attractive to me. I should also note that I hate big magic boxes that if they break, things stop. I'd rather have two and be able to hobble along.

Taking this ^^^ into consideration (resale value of larger switch), makes me think that it would be wise
to start out with one N2024 (better resale value), stack another N2024 in six to eight weeks maybe...

Any 10GbaseT considerations are far down the road for my little home network, given the increased
power usage of copper (and the heat/fans/noise that comes with it). I think the aqua fiber is purty too ;)

Me too.

View attachment 9164

9C1 Newbee

Patron
It seems like Europe's ahead of us in everything these days. At least we still have our obesity rates.

I am proud to say I am doing my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.