PCI x4 in x8 slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
I'm sure this is a dumb question but I have a supermicro x11ssh -ln4f mobo and a LSI 9207 4i4e and I want to add an Intel RES2SV240NC expander to the case. However all I am seeing is that it is an x4 sized card and all I have is a x16 and x8 available. Can I put it in an x8 slot? will it stay in there? or is there a different expander that will use an x8 slot that is around the same price used? or should I just say screw it and ditch the 4i4e for an 8i? I dont currently have plans for external connectivity so I guess going 8i would be a better option. I only really need to add 3 more drives to fully saturate the case lol so the 8i would be the more reasonable solution. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

acquacow

Explorer
You can put anything smaller than the slot in just fine. It's the PCI-e bracket screw that really holds things into place.

I'd get the newest gen card you can.

Stux

MVP
Intel RES2SV240NC

This 'card' doesn't even need to go in a slot to work. The slot is just a convenient way to power and locate it. It can also be powered through its molex port and positioned anywhere in your case that you want.

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
Sorry for not replying right away. I was unaware of such capabilities. I think i will search around for a good price on one now. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
For the sake of completeness: Unless you're doing weird things like bifurcating a slot and using it for multiple devices (which requires specific support), you can use any PCIe device in any PCIe slot. Sure, most smaller slots aren't open to fit larger cards, but some are and those that aren't could conceivably be modified. Larger physical connectors with fewer electrical connections are also pretty common.

Status
Not open for further replies.